Chapter 36

The soldier guides me to the huge double doors. I hear soft murmuring from the other side, and take my time as a twist the doorknob. All of their eyes turn to me as I step inside.

-"What is this?" My tired voice asks.

-"The remaining victors," Coin states, "Take a seat please."

They all stare at me as I pull out a chair, the scraping sound filling the room.

-"We're all that's left?"

They all nod sadly, and proceed to look at Coin, knowing she has something to say.

-"First," she begins, "I would like to announce to you all that I have taken upon the burden and honor of becoming the interim president of Panem."

That's when I know. Snow is right. Nothing will get better as long as Coin is in charge. I clench my jaw, but say nothing. Haymitch glances at me, and by the look on his face I can tell he has reached the same conclusion as me.

"But we have matters far more important to discuss," Coin continues, "As you all know, President Snow and his accomplices will be executed later today. Here is the problem: once we begin, the rebels will keep calling for more retribution. But if we want to maintain a functioning society, we cannot kill too many people. So I have come up with a solution, and it will be all of your decisions whether this happens or not. My proposition is to host one last symbolic Hunger Games, but with Capitol children."

We all go silent. This cannot be happening. There can't be another Hunger Games. Is this how it happened, seventy-six years ago?

-"Are you insane?" Peeta speaks up. "What was the point of this war? I vote no, obviously!"

-"I vote no as well," Annie says timidly, "So would Finnick if he were here."

-"But he's not," Johanna chuckles, but not of joy, "Because Snow's mutts killed him. I vote yes."

-"So do I," Enobaria hisses, "Let them have a taste of their own medicine."

-"What are you all doing? Do you want this to start over again? Seventy-five more years of Hunger Games?" I add today to the few times I have heard Peeta genuinely angry.

-"I vote no," Beetee says, readjusting his glasses, "We need to stop viewing each other as enemies."

Haymitch and I look at each other, we are the last ones. He nods at me. It's my decision.

-"I vote no." I leave it at that, it seems unnecessary to explain myself.

-"I'm with the Mockingjay."

I smile at Haymitch, thanking him. Peeta sighsc relieved.

-"That carries the vote, thank you." Coin sounds disappointed.

As everyone begins to leave, I approach Coin, the white rose in hand.

-"Miss Everdeen?" She asks when she notices my presence. My request seems odd when I try to formulate it, but I ask anyway.

-"Could you make sure Snow is wearing this? Right over his heart?"

She smiles, and takes it from my hand.

-"Of course."

She gathers her belongings and walks out of the room, leaving me alone. I stare out the window, at the wreckage that used to be the square. At this moment in time, it is impossible to know what the fate of Panem will be.

I walk out of the room, my footsteps echoing through the empty hallway. The clicking of heels alerts me that I am no longer alone.

-"Katniss, dear, follow me." Effie says.

She guides me into a room, where the first thing I see is my Mockingjay outfit. Once I am changed, she hands a sheath with a single arrow in it that I slide around my back. She then reaches for the gorgeous bow, mortified at the fact she is holding a weapon, but also honored.

-"You have come a long way, Katniss Everdeen." She says, her eyes filling with tears.

-"Thank you Effie," I say, "For everything."

I instinctively walk at a pace that matches the beat of the huge drums. Crowds stand at the side of the path I walk along. The moment has finally arrived. I finally get to kill Snow. Once I am a few yards ahead of them, the crowd follows behind me. Snow stands not too far ahead of me, strapped to a pole. I reach for the arrow, carefully placing my aim at the white rose on his chest. He smirks at me, but that was enough to communicate his message. He's right. He isn't the real enemy anymore. I redirect my aim, and shoot Coin right through her heart.