Chapter 29

Cressida shakes me violently, signaling me it's my turn to watch. It's still early, I have the second watching shift of the night. I drowsily sit up, rubbing my eyes to wake myself. Once the dark spots clear from my visions, I see who is on guard with me. Gale. Was it just going to be an uncomfortable silence for two hours? I tap my foot nervously, trying to come up with something to clear the air.

-"So..."

-"You don't need to pretend you want to talk to me." He interrupts me without hesitation.

-"Gale, I never said I hate you."

There's nothing he can say to that. His dull mind formed the idea that I hold a grudge against him, even though I haven't said or done anything to suggest that.

-"I just don't understand why you won't love me. I've always cared for you and your family."

-"I do love you Gale," I hesitate, I must be very careful with my words. "Just not in the same way." He sighs. "Gale, you're still my best friend."

-"That's not what I want to be."

The buzzing of a fly fills the silence between us. I start biting on the inside of my cheek, a habit I know all too well. I check my watch, twenty minutes had already gone by. I stare at the ceiling. Soft snores arise from around the room. I look back at Gale and notice him staring at Peeta. His eyes look empty of emotion. No hate, but no positive feeling either.

-"I hate to admit it, but I can see what you see in him."

He says. I laugh a little, but try to muffle it in my sleeve.

-"I don't think it's possible to hate him."

It's odd that the person who dragged us apart is now the subject of our most normal conversation in days.

It's quiet again. But this time, the silence is comfortable. A quiet dripping from the plumbing system resonates. I check my watch again. It's been two hours now.

-"Two hours." I say. "Any idea who we need to wake?"

-"No, but I can check." He reaches for the sheet and crawls over to shake Finnick and Castor awake. I go back to my sleeping bag and let sleep overcome me again.

Once again, I am awakened, by Jackson this time. Second shift of the night. It's early in the morning, but I'll still get to sleep more tonight. Peeta stands and sits next to me.

-"You look rested," I say, "Have you watched already tonight?"

-"No, I'll have to watch the two hours after this too."

-"Oh. I had to watch with Gale earlier."

He looks concerned.

-"Are you okay?"

-"He was distant at first, but things warmed up. Well, somewhat."

-"I'm glad." He kisses the top of my head. It's good to know that Peeta isn't jealous of Gale. He shouldn't be. I lean my head on his shoulder, and his arm goes around my waist automatically.

-"I remember," I start, not in control of my thoughts, "In the first games, I thought it was all an act. I'm sorry I hurt you."

I don't know why I'm getting emotional. This really isn't an appropriate time.

-"Hurt me? You saved my life."

-"Well yes, but after that. When the games were over. And during the Victory Tour."

He stays quiet for a moment before answering.

-"You know it's not an act right?" He seems shy.

-"I know," I blush, "I'm not acting either."

We both lean in.

It's almost as if my reference to the first games brought me back to the cave. Alone with Peeta, in danger, the soft dripping of water. Except this time, the kisses are not for the cameras. They're for me. For us.

It's somehow already been two hours, and Peeta brings me back to my sleeping bag. He wakes him before I manage to fall asleep. And once I know who it is, I know I will not be able to abstain myself from eavesdropping. How could I fall asleep when I know Peeta is watching with Gale?