Chapter 21

I haven't spoken to anyone in days. The only people I see are my prep team, my filming team, and occasionally President Coin. I have barely even seen Peeta and Gale, but I know they are worried about how I am handling my mother and sister's deaths. I might need to talk to them now though, because I am in Command awaiting an important announcement that for once does not only concern me.

-"Hello everyone," Coin starts, in the same calm and monotone voice she always has, "I have an announcement to make. We have thought this out for a while, and we wanted you to know before we tell the entire population of Thirteen." She pauses and I stare at her, eager for her to continue. "We have planned a mission to go rescue Haymitch Abernathy, Johanna Mason, Annie Cresta, Enobaria Ironfe and Luella Roue.

It takes me a moment, but I recognize the last name as the female Morphling's. I immediately stand up.

-"I'm coming." I state. I need a way to get out of my mourning, to actually be helpful to everyone around me. This is my way to thank Haymitch for everything, and to relieve my guilt for barely thinking about him all this time.

-"No. No you can't it's too dangerous Katniss." Peeta says.

-"Why not? Are you saying I'm not capable?" I snap back at him.

-"He's right Katniss," Gale joins in, "It's too dangerous. You aren't okay and you need to stay alive. We need you for this war to keep progressing in our favor."

I feel betrayed by both of them. They both keep trying to protect me, but don't they see I don't care? Don't they see I have nothing to live for anymore? I am about to start yelling at both of them, but Boggs must see it coming, so he interferes.

-"It doesn't matter, it's purely voluntary either way. We will leave you to think about it and talk it out if necessary.

I am not about to drop this. I storm out but give both of them a look so they know to follow me.

I lean against the wall at the end of the hallway, my arms folded across my chest. Two sets of heavy footsteps approach, and I see two tall figures walking towards me.

-"Catnip, listen-" Gale tries to say, but I stop him.

-"No, you listen. Both of you. Stop trying to protect me. I want to go save Haymitch. I need to. I owe it to him. For staying sober in the first games, protecting me, helping me through the entire year after that, volunteering for Peeta. As much as I hate to say it, Haymitch has been an amazing mentor."

-"Katniss, that isn't what we're saying." Peeta says, probably thinking I was finished, "This is about you and your safety. You're the Mockingjay, you need to stay alive."

-"So what? It doesn't matter anymore. Most of the districts are on our side now, and I can just become a martyr for the rest of them. I've outlived my usefulness. My little sister is dead, there's no point anymore!" I burst out with all of the emotions I have been keeping in. All of the tears, all of the anger, were being lashed out at the two people who loved me the most. They look at each other, they know I'm too stubborn to keep trying to persuade.

-"If you're going, we're all going."

The two who used to be against each other have now allied themselves against me.

-"Fine. I can't stop you from volunteering. Don't blame me if you die."

I quickly walk away and back to my compartment.