Chapter 20

The huge metal doors are slowly being opened once again, as I so desperately wanted them to a few days ago. However this time, I am terrified of what lies behind them. I squeeze my way to the front of the crowd, I want to be the first to see. The guards step aside, and the outside is revealed. Gray smoke tries to hide what I am so afraid to see, but is unsuccessful, as I still notice the bodies. I walk around the big block of debris, my curiosity getting the best of me. I search frantically for what I can only hope I won't find. Unfortunately, I do. The empty look in their eyes makes me step back. You would think I would be used to death. I have seen many people die in front of me, but no matter how big that number is, it will not ease the pain. I want to leave, I want to run away, but I don't know where to go. My only options are back in the bunker, where I would be faced with many people I don't want to talk to, or up. I dash up the staircase, and make my way to the pipe room. I repeat the words again and again.

-"My name is Katniss Everdeen. I am seventeen years old. My home is District 12. I was in the Hunger Games. I escaped. The Capitol hates me. The Capitol bombed us. They killed my sister and my mother. They killed Prim. They killed Prim..."

I have no family left.

I memorize every detail of the complex stipple ceiling above my bed. A loud noise in my bathroom makes me startle out of bed. I cautiously approach the door, and open it to find Buttercup. I didn't think that Buttercup survived, but apparently he did. He must have crawled in a vent or a small corner somewhere. We had been hiding him for a while, since District 13 would probably throw him out if they knew about him. Buttercup and I have never been on good terms, but I don't hesitate to grab him in my arms. I cradle him and sob quietly. He doesn't fight back, to my surprise, only looks at me with his piercing eyes. Our past issues don't matter anymore, I scratch the back of his head and sniffle quietly. I know I will hold onto him, because he's the closest thing to family I have now.