Chapter 11

My own breathing wakes me up, and I rip off my oxygen mask. I immediately stand up and look around, panicked. Beetee is lying on a bed identical to mine a few feet away from me. I shakily grab a syringe, hiding it behind me back. I try to peer through the small crack between the wall and the door, but I can't see anything. I press my wear to the door, but end up pushing it, revealing my presence. My hand tightens on the syringe instinctively, but it falls to the floor once I see who is in the room.

-"Peeta..." I mumble, then run towards him. He strokes my hair reassuringly as I envelope myself in his warmth. Plutarch Heavensbee clears his throat, making me realize he is here. I look up from Peeta's chest and notice Finnick is also here.

-"What is this?" I demand.

-"This is the Revolution," Plutarch states, "And you are the Mockingjay."

-"Katniss," Finnick says, and I turn my head to look at him. "We're on our way to District 13."

-"There is no District 13." I interrupt, "It was destroyed." But even I am not confident with those words.

-"Now do you really believe that?" Plutarch says. I look down. "This has been the plan all along," he continues, "To save you. Around half of the tributes were in on it."

-"Well why didn't I know?" I break in.

-"We couldn't risk that," Peeta looks at me. I pull myself out of his grasp.

-"You knew?" I say accusingly. He looks ashamed, but Plutarch tries to defend him.

-"He couldn't tell you, it would destroy the entire plan."

-"Where's Haymitch?" I ask. I need to have a word with him.

-"We weren't able to get Haymitch and Johanna in time." He states, "The Capitol has them."

I have no idea how to feel. Well for one, I am angry at Haymitch. I'm confused. I'm hungry.

-"Is there any food?" I mumble. All three of them look surprised at my answer, but I don't have a better one. Peeta guides me to a small kitchen, hands be a bowl of broth, and then leaves.

I don't remember getting to a bed, let alone falling asleep, but when I wake up I see Gale's face. I startle slightly, but not enough for him to notice. What is Gale doing here?

-"Hey Catnip," he whispers "We're in District 13 now."

-"Where's Prim?" I squirm under my thin bed sheets.

-"I got her and your mother out in time, don't worry."

-"What do you mean?" I mumble, my head pounding and my thoughts foggy.

-"I got them out of Twelve. Did they not tell you what happened in Twelve?" Now we're both confused.

-"No...they didn't. What happened?" I look at him but he avoids my gaze. "Gale, what happened?" I demand.

-"They bombed it. After you blew out the arena. I managed to get some guys from the mine to help me get people to follow us to the meadow. We were lucky we managed to survive three days, then thankfully a hovercraft from Thirteen came. I only got a few hundred people out." He looks guilty.

-"Gale, you saved so many people."

-"Yeah, but I could've saved even more. I should have just dragged people along, carried people." I'm about to respond, but Plutarch comes into the room.

-"Katniss, your mother and sister want to see you." I take the opportunity to get away from that awkward conversation. Prim and I embrace each other when we see each other.

-"I'm so glad you're ok." I whisper, relieved. I hug my mother, but in silence. Our relationship isn't fully healed yet. They guide me to our family's living compartment, where I go to sleep, empty and confused.