Chapter 14

Here I am, at the same table, with the same people looking at me expectantly. Gale stares at me with daggers in his eyes, and I'm almost regretting my decision, because it's giving him what he wants. These past few days, I have viewed my oldest friend as an enemy, and I'm not sure what to do about it. But now is not the time to think of that, not with Coin staring me down. I gather my thoughts and look back up at her.

-"I will be your Mockingjay," I pause, expecting some cheers, or just sighs of relief, but nobody moves. "I will work with you to unite the districts against the Capitol."

-"Is there a 'but'?" Coin asks, indifferent.

-"Not for now." I realize the situation might change, and I could eventually use this to my advantage.

-"Well tell us when you have that all figured out then." She goes to leave but I stop her.

-"Don't you want to start now?" I smirk, even though I'm doing my best to sound angelic, "I thought this was a matter of urgency."

-"She's right, what's the harm in starting now? She agreed." Plutarch speaks up. Coin looks bothered, but nods.

-"You'll find Plutarch and his crew after mealtime. You are free to go."

Gale embraces me once I am out, as if nothing had happened just a few days ago.

-"I knew you would agree." he mumbles. I hesitantly hug him back. There's no point in arguing, and I'm going to need as many people to lean on during this as possible.

-"Are you ready to go eat?" He says once we release each other.

-"You go ahead, I have something I need to do."

He leaves, and I jog towards the hallway in which the compartments are located to catch up with Peeta.

-"Peeta!" I call out. He flips his head around and walks towards me.

-"Are you ok?" He asks, his hand cupping my cheek.

-"Yeah, I'm fine. I just need a favor." I hesitate to continue, but he just looks at me with caring eyes. "Can you stay by me during all of this? I'm not sure if I can do it without you."

-"Yeah, of course Katniss," he wraps his arms around me, his chin on the top of my head, "I'm always here."