Chapter 25

I haven't felt his lips against mine in so long, yet it feels so natural. Out of breath, we break apart, but I know it isn't that simple: I have more I need to say.

-"I think I love you." I whisper, but loud enough for him to hear.

-"You think?"

-"No," I correct myself, "I know."

We don't speak. We just lie down on the bed, surrounded by each other's warmth, and eventually fall asleep.

When I wake up, Peeta is still asleep. It seems to be late in the afternoon. I just stare at him, and brush away a blonde lock from his forehead. I run my fingertips across his sharp jaw and start wondering. I have been around this boy for over a year now, but I've always been too stubborn to admit my true feelings to myself. Haymitch had apparently known all along though. Peeta's eyes flutter open, and a smile spreads across his face once his vision clears.

-"I thought it was a dream," he says, "But I'm so glad it wasn't."

-"I'm glad it was real too." I smile.

-"It's probably time for dinner," he says, and I check the time. We have to be at the cafeteria in fifteen minutes. We reluctantly get up, dragging myself back to reality. One question takes over my thoughts: what am I going to tell Gale? I'm not going to hide my love for Peeta, but what does this mean for our friendship? Peeta sees my worried expression, and speaks up.

-"We don't need to tell them if you don't want to."

-"No, I want to tell them. I'm just not sure how I'm going to tell him." He knows who I am talking about. He stays quiet, there's nothing he could answer that would change anything. So we make our way to the cafeteria, hand in hand.

Haymitch and Johanna just smirk when they see us.

-"Nice job, Sweetheart." Haymitch says, and for the first time, I don't mind his stupid nickname.

-"Brainless finally got her feelings straight." I still mind Johanna's though.

I notice Finnick isn't here, and ask why.

-"He's at the hospital," Haymitch explains, chewing on some bread, "They got Annie and Luella."

-"They sent a rescue team? I didn't think it was confirmed." Peeta says.

-"It was an impulse move," Johanna states, apparently everyone is aware of this except us, "They thought that it would be too late if they didn't go now, and that the Capitol would be able to figure out their plan if they didn't do it spontaneously."

-"I'll go get us some food." Peeta says, and kisses my cheek before leaving. I take a seat, but feel an uncomfortable stare, and look around me. I catch his gaze from across the room. Gale. This is inevitable, but I didn't expect to have to deal with this right away. His state urges me to go towards him. I feel like a child getting scolded, and like a child I stand straight and stare down.

-"I'm guessing you've made your choice." He places his hands on his hips.

-"Gale, this doesn't mean I hate you. You're still like a brother to me."

-"This changes everything and you know it. I can't believe you Catnip." He walks away, the old nickname stinging through me.