Chapter 15

People crowd around me, adding makeup, styling my hair, making me look beautiful. I feel as if I am in the Capitol, which is quite ironic since 13 is meant to be its opposite. I am handed a long pole and Fulvia shoves me up to a small stage.

-"Okay Katniss," Plutarch's voice booms through the speakers around me, "Whenever you're ready."

Thick, gray smoke rolls into the room and lands by my feet.

-"People of Panem, we fight, we dare, we end our hunger for justice!"

No matter how many times I rehearsed that line, it still was as lengthy and uncomfortable.

-"Let's try that one more time Katniss," Plutarch states.

It's very obvious that I am awful at this, but no one has the guts to say it. We run through the line a few more times, but I see no improvement.

-"I think that's enough." Plutarch says, exasperated.

I step down from the stage and lean the pole against the wall. Both Peeta and Gale walk to me, but Peeta stands to the side once Gale grips my arm.

-"You did good." He sounds genuine, even though he is wrong

-"Thank you." I reply. "I need to head to the hospital. I have another appointment there."

-"See you at dinner." He kisses my cheek.

-"You're going to the hospital?" Peeta approaches me.

-"Yeah, you would think they would get me out of them now that I'm the Mockingjay." He laughs.

-"I need to go there too, same reason as you I assume."

-"Mentally disoriented?" I say, holding up my wrist.

-"Exactly." We both laugh.

-"I wasn't any good today," I sigh, "It won't be any help to the rebels if they broadcast this."

-"Editing can work magic, you know." He tries to reassure me.

-"I never thought I would say this, but I wish Haymitch were here." He stops, a huge grin plastered on his face.

-"I'm definitely going to tell him that once he is back." We laugh, and I smack his arm. However we get quiet, both realizing that it's a matter of 'if' and not 'when'.

-"They'll get him out," he cups my cheek, "I know they will."

-"He doesn't deserve this," I look down, "I dragged him into that arena, it's not his fault. I should be in his place."

-"Nobody should be in his place. I'm not sure what they're doing to him, but it can't be anything good."

-"I just feel guilty."

-"Don't." he says, and embraces me. I snuggle up in his chest.

-"Thank you, Peeta." He smiles, and I hold his hand until we get to the hospital.