Epilogue

A few years later

A warm breeze along with the chirping of birds lures me out of my sleep. The bed is empty beside me, which means Peeta is already awake. I hear him in the kitchen, probably making breakfast. I should probably get up, but decide to stay in bed a bit longer. I admire our view of the Meadow through our window. It's spring, and flowers have already started blooming. An old willow tree stands tall not too far from our house. Life has been so calm lately. We will never truly move on, but it has been getting better. Step by step. Little by little. I finally get up and get dressed, sliding on my father's hunting jacket, even though I don't think I am going to hunt today. I speed down the staircase, some of them creaking beneath me. Once I reach the kitchen, Peeta looks up at me.

-"You're awake," he smiles.

His smile. His smile always gets me. His smile has remained the same throughout all of this, it is the same smile as the one the boy waving at Capitol citizens from the train was wearing. I love him so much. So much...

-"Come on, let's go to the Meadow," I grab his hand, pulling him out of the kitchen.

-"Are you okay?" He sounds concerned.

I'm not sure what I'm doing. I just know I need to go to the Meadow, and he needs to come with me. That's where I need to tell him this.

-"Just follow me," I drag him outside, not even giving him a chance to take his apron off.

He takes my hand in his as we walk through the many flowers. He pauses for a second, contemplating our intertwined fingers, then kisses my hand right where my ring is.

-"I love you, Katniss,"

-"I love you too, Peeta,"

We find a nice spot and sit as I try to gather my thoughts.

-"Peeta..." I start, but stop immediately when I see how apprehensive he looks, "Peeta don't be worried, I promise this is good news," I chuckle. He sighs, relieved, and lets me continue. "I've been thinking about everything. About life. About us. And I want to finally say that... yes. I want to. I'm ready."

He looks confused, but hopeful.

-"Are you saying..."

-"Yes, I am. I want to have your children, Peeta Mellark."

The expression on his face is pure joy. He leans in and kisses me, which I gladly return.

-"I love you so much, Katniss Everdeen," he says as we break apart, "Thank you."

I lean my head on his shoulder as we appreciate scenery, staring at the strong old willow tree.