Clearly

August 3rd, 10:13 A.M.

"Oh hey Cuzzie!" Sam exclaimed as she rushed over to me and brought me into a tight hug. I fell backwards slightly, and gave her a soft pat on the back. She pulled away and kept a tight grip on my shoulders as she smiled at me. I pulled away from her grasp and rushed towards my vanity, rummaging through the drawers. I quickly pulled out a pack of cigarettes and my lighter as I ran back down the stairs. Aunt Jackie noticed my presence and rushed over to me enthusiastically.

"Oh Gia! I would really like to-"

Ignoring her, I quickly grabbed my jacket from the coat rack and rushed out the door as I slammed it behind me. I walked across the road quickly and then I ran. I ran faster than I ever have before, and didn't stop. I continued running until i was headed towards the direction of the lake. I stopped at the bridge and pulled out a cigarette, putting it between my soft, frigid lips. I lit the end with my shaking hand and let out a long drag as I leant over the railing. Whenever my anxiety is through the roof, a cigarette helps the most. It's a bad habit but it's gotten me through a lot. So many people will get on my ass about how it's bad for me and how it'll kill me. Though, I think it's all bullshit. My dad used to smoke every day. In fact, he probably smoked about ten packs a week. And he didn't die...well not from smoking at least. I was suddenly cut off from my thoughts when I felt someone's presence near me. I quickly picked up my head and looked to the side to see a worried Sam.

"Are you alright?" She said between breaths, panting.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" I breathed out.

"What?" She questioned, confusedly.

I shook my head and took one last drag of my cigarette, before throwing it to the ground and squishing it with my foot. Sam looked down at my foot and then back at me worryingly.

"You smoke?"

"Clearly." I said bluntly.

She nodded and leant over the railing next to me, looking out at the view of the lake.

"Why are you guys here? Why did you move into my house? And oh, why is all of your shit in my room?" I questioned rudely.

She looked back at me and scoffed. "C'mon Gia. Don't be like that."

"Well you didn't really answer my question." I shrugged.

"Well..." She dragged on.

"You know, it's funny." I sarcastically laughed, cutting her off.
"Haven't seen, or heard from either of you in years. Now suddenly you come in with this dramatic entrance? What, it's like you only come back when you need something." I said sternly.

Sam sighed and looked back at the ground. "That's true. And I'm sorry Cuzzie. I don't want to start out rough here."

"Mhm. Right." I responded rudely.

"Look," she sighed. "Can we just try to get along for two seconds?"

I pressed my lips together and shook my head. "Maybe once you explain everything to me."

"Alright," she breathed out.
"Well, dad left us."

"Hm." I laughed.

She shot her head at me and furrowed her eyebrows. "You find that funny?" She asked me, clearly annoyed with my response.

"Go on." I said, avoiding her question.

She sighed and looked back at the view.
"Okay well, my mother's a house wife. As you already know. And my dad's job was the only thing keeping us under a roof. Then him and mom had a big fight and he left. Thought he was going out to the bar or something, but he didn't come back. For weeks."