New Year

December 31st, 7:58 P.M.

Sam and I rushed down the stairs in our New Year's party outfits, ready to leave the house.

As we entered through the kitchen Aunt Jackie and Mom were making tea, and paused when they saw Sam and I.

"Well don't you two beautiful," Aunt Jackie wiggled her eyebrows.

"Yes, you both look absolutely gorgeous." Mom agreed.

We both gave our thanks, and headed for the door when it suddenly was shoved open as Danny stormed through.

"Who's ready for the New Year?!" He shouted.

"We are!" Sam and I said in sync as we laughed.

Danny smiled and stood between us, one arm around each of our shoulders as he walked us out to Leo's jeep.

Sam and Danny opened the car doors but before I could two firm hands wrapped around my waist and turned me to meet with beautiful ocean-blue eyes. I smiled at the sight of Leo.

"Hi," he smiled.

"Hi," I breathed out.

"You look..." He eyed me carefully from head to toe. "Would it be disrespectful if I said you looked hot?" He smirked.

I shook my head and gave him a quick peck on the
lips before turning around and hopping in the back of the jeep with Sam and Val.

"I saw that little peck," Sam whispered as she nudged me with her shoulder.

All I did was smile as Leo and I locked eyes through the rear-view mirror.

———————————————————————

"Are you having fun?" Leo asked me as he took a sip of his drink while we sat on the couch

"Yeah," I smiled.

That actually wasn't a lie. I was a bit skeptical of the idea of a New Year's party at first. But now that I'm here, I'm glad that I came.

Leo smiled back at me and reached his arm over my shoulder as I snuggled into his chest. Just as I was finally getting comfortable, we were disturbed from a spoon hitting glass repeatedly. We jolted our heads up and looked around until our eyes met with Shawn, one of Leo's friends.

"Clock strikes 12 in five minutes!" He shouted.

Everyone cheered and crowded around the living room.

"Wanna go with them to watch the ball drop?" Leo asked me.

I shook my head, "I've got a better idea."

He smiled as I took his hand and led him out of the house.

"Where are we going?" He asked.

"Somewhere." I bit my lip.

"Give me a hint?" He suggested as we slowed down so we were walking along the sidewalk.

"No can do," I smiled. "But we better hurry up." I said as I glanced down at my watch.

11:57

I tightened my grip on Leo's hand as we rushed down the sidewalk.

"How much longer?" Leo shouted from behind me.

"Just hold on! We're getting closer." I shouted back.

I quickly glanced down at my watch again.

11:58

When I looked back up I saw what I was looking for.

A field of daises. I smiled to myself as Leo came to my side and I led him through the field, until we reached a small lake. There was no bridge. But there was a small gazebo that sat in the middle of the lake, with a small pathway leading to it.

"Where did you find this place?" Leo whispered as we walked down the pathway.

"I remember this from when I was in middle school. Ryan and I would come here and skip rocks along the lake." I smiled. "They recently added this gazebo and fixed up the pavement along there," I pointed out a few areas around the lake.

He nodded as we entered inside of the gazebo, and stood hand-in-hand, facing each other.

"So why did you take me here, G?" Leo asked me.

I looked back at my watch again.

11:59

"Well, the other day you told me you saw us running through a field of daises and then coming to a bridge that sat on a lake in our future." I sighed.

He smiled and leaned closer to me as our arms swung back in fourth.

"So I thought to myself," I smiled. "It's a new year...why not start it off with the beginning of our new future."

He grinned as I took one last look at my watch.

12:00

I wrapped my arms around Leo's neck as his hands firmly pressed against my waist, and he brought me closer. Our lips smashed against each other's as we kissed passionately. His soft, plump lips against mine never felt more right, as I grabbed the back of his neck and pulled him closer to me. Slowly, we broke off the kiss and stared at each other longingly.

"I really like you, Gia." He said, out of breath.

"I really like you, lover boy," I smiled.