Look whos here

September 17th, 7:36 A.M.

Today was the first day of school.

Specifically, the most dreadful day of the year.

Sam and I said our goodbyes to our moms and then we were off to Trinity High.

"We walkin'?" Sam asked me while she stuffed a piece of toast in her mouth.

"Yes, the bus is overrated," I shrugged.

She laughed as we walked on the tight sidewalk.

"So has Leo said anything to you lately?" Sam asked me.

"No, why would he?" I laughed.

"I don't know," she shrugged. "He's just been acting really weird recently."

"Hm," I said. "Have you talked to Taylor at all?" I asked her, trying to change the subject.

"What do you mean?"

"Well I know you guys exchanged numbers at the party last week so..." I dragged on.

"Oh," She nodded. "Just small talk I guess. We keep it short."

I slowly nodded as I looked at the ground while we walked.

"Does that bother you?" Sam asked me.

"No?" I laughed.

"Oh," she laughed too.

I heard her sigh as I looked up at the sight in front of me. Trinity high school.

As Sam and I walked through the entry way I noticed a few people waving towards Sam and I, and some dirty glances here and there.

We stopped at my locker first, as I grabbed some of my books and folders out of my locker. As we headed for Sam's locker I asked her a question.

"So, I've never seen any of your friends around here before. Do they go to school here or...?"

"Oh," she sighed. "Most of them attend a low-budget school out in Lightmin somewhere."

"Where's Lightmin anyway?" I asked her.

"I dunno." She shrugged.

"Hm." I said as we stopped at Sam's locker.

"Oh!" She jumped up. "I do believe a few of them are attending this year though . To try something new," she smiled.

"Oh that's cool," I nodded. "Please tell me Leo is not one of them..." I groaned.

"I dunno Cuzzie." She slammed her locker shut.
"I guess we'll just have to find out."

I sighed as we entered room 304 and sat ourselves at the table in the front.

"Ah, ah, ah." Mrs Laurel stopped us in our tracks and lowered her glasses as she approached us.

Sam and I exchanged confused glances and looked back at Mrs Laurel.

"I have to assign everyone their seats so..." She looked around and thought for a moment. "Just stand over there for a bit until everyone gets here." She smiled.

Sam and I nodded and walked over to lean against the wall nearby.

"Is she nice?" Sam whispered.

I shrugged, "She's alright."

She nodded and we stood silently as the room filled up with more and more students, until the bell rang. Mrs Laurel jumped up and grabbed a sheet of paper from her desk.

"Alright students," she cleared her throat. "I will start assigning you to your seats. Two people will be seated at each table as you can see. These will be your seats for the entire year." She announced.

One of the students raised their hand immediately and Mrs Laurel sighed.

"Yes Miss Jacobs?"

"Why are our classes mixed up between different grades?" She asked.

I was wondering this as well. I had completely forgot that Sam was a senior and I was only a junior. It was a bit weird that we were in some of the same classes, it's not usually like that here.

"Oh," Mrs Laurel sighed. "We're switching it up this year Miss Jacobs. Administrators believe that you all, as students, need to practice socializing amongst yourselves between different age groups." She nodded and returned her attention back to the sheet of paper as she called out people's names, and assigned them to their seats.

"Gia Rylin?" She called out.

I turned my head to Sam, "fingers crossed." I whispered.

"You'll be over here," she directed me to the third row and I sat down and looked back at Sam.

"And now...Sam Wosten?" Mrs Laurel shouted out.

Sam raised her hand for direction, and Mrs Laurel slowly walked to Sam and mumbled something to her. Sam looked back at me and gave me a hopeful smile. I held up my crossed fingers and she darted her eyes to her crossed fingers at her side.

"Alright you'll be over here Miss Wosten," Mrs Laurel said as she directed Sam to the fifth row of seats.

I groaned and sunk into my chair, slamming my head against the table.

"And now we're just waiting on one more student." Mrs Laurel sighed.

I looked to my side to see that the seat next to me was empty. Meaning whoever comes in next will be seated next to me, for the entire year.

I crossed my fingers tightly and squeezed my eyes shut.

"Oh, look who's here! Finally," Mrs Laurel cheered.

I picked my head up and looked to the back of the classroom.

My fingers slowly uncrossed, as I tensed when I saw him standing in the doorway.