You decide

December 29th, 7:08 P.M.

"Should we all hang out for New Years?" Leo asked.

I was currently at dinner with Val, Leo, Ryan, Sam, and Danny, and New years was only a few days ahead of us.

"I'm down," Danny said as he shoved fries into his mouth.

"Me too," Sam shrugged.

Everyone else agreed to Leo's suggestion, as Leo thought to himself for a moment before suddenly jumping up.

"We should host a party!" He exclaimed.

I slumped into my chair. I don't mind parties, but that's what people always do for New Years, and I wanted to do something different. Plus, it always sucks having to watch all of the happy, cute couples kiss when the clock strikes twelve.

"You in, G?" Leo asked me, disrupting my thoughts.

I looked around at everyone's smiling faces at the table and I grew sweaty as my heart began to beat faster by the second. It felt as if I was being pressured into the idea by everyone's hopeful and pleading faces. I felt Leo's hand reach for mine under the table as he rubbed his thumb in circles along my hand comfortingly. I took a deep breath and nodded, causing everyone to clap and cheer.

Leo leaned his chair closer to mine and whispered to me, "We don't have to have a party G. Whatever you want to do, we'll do." He assured me.

"It's fine. If you're all happy then so am I." I smiled.

He nodded before releasing his grip on my hand and bringing it back to his glass of water to take a sip. He set the glass back down and looked towards me.

"Wanna get out of here?" He asked me.

"Yes," I blurted out, wanting to escape the awkward tension at this table.

"Uh guys," Leo tapped his finger against the table causing everyone to look in his direction. "We're gonna head out." He smiled at me.

"But we only got here like ten minutes ago," Sam whined.

Leo eyed her and nodded towards me, causing her to raise her eyebrows and lean back in her chair.

"We'll catch you guys later." He waved them off as we both stood from our seats and walked out of the restaurant.

"Do you wanna go for a walk?" He asked me.

"That sounds nice." I nodded.

"Great." He smiled, as he intertwined our fingers.

As we walked, silence filled the air. But it wasn't an awkward silence, or tension. It was almost comforting. Like we didn't need to talk to make things comfortable. Just having each other there made things better.

"Hey Gia," Leo spoke up.

"Yes, lover boy?" I sighed.

"I love this friendship we have." He said.

"Me too," I said softly.

We both smiled at each other and continued walking hand-in-hand.

"Do you see me in your future?" He suddenly asked me.

I gulped. I never have put much thought into my future. Or even college for that matter.

"I don't know," I said quietly.

Leo put his head down and looked back at me with a frown. "You don't know?" He croaked.

I nodded slowly.

"That's okay." He smiled. "But I see you in my future." He said softly.

I picked my head up and licked my lips to refrain from smiling. "How so?"

"I see us running through a field of daises," He started. "And then we stop at this bridge that stands over a beautiful lake."

I smiled and nodded for him to continue.

"And then we look at each other." He paused and turned to me as I did the same.

"And we lean in..." His words trailed off quietly as he stepped closer to me, his face now only inches from mine.

"And then what?" I whispered.

"You decide," he said.

I slowly leaned in closer to his face, as my lips brushed over his. He carefully brought his hand to my chin and lifted my lips to softly crash against his. I could feel his soft lips graze against mine and it felt as if sparks had been set off inside of me.

He gently broke the kiss and our foreheads were pushed together as we both caught a breath.

"Woah."