Chapter: 33

"Grizel..."

Rex called his fiancee who is focused on reading a book about the sole religion in this world, the Temple of Cronus and their 4 worshiped Gods.

"Hhmm?..."

She just humming to answer him, Grizel just keeps her eyes on the book not caring the one who called her, quite a rude manner towards the prince if there are any other people around.

"Why don't you marry me?"

Stopping her good read, she shifts her gaze at her fiance who is speaking absurd things casually while inspecting some urgent paperwork in his hands, buried by his Imperial duties as the Crown Prince.

Both of them are currently in the spacious Imperial carriage on the way to the capital, their servants are in the different carriage including Levi, Lucy, and Dion,

"Your Highness wants me to die earlier?"

Early marriage is common for noble families because all they need is the official documents to tie the families, the sooner the better.

On the other hand, it's extremely rare for the Imperial family to marry at a young age since this empire has a unique tradition related to Imperial marriage, divorce within the imperial family members are prohibited, and the Empress couldn't be dethroned, making it hard for the Imperial family to marry in young age, instead, they will carefully observe their soon-to-be spouse during the engagement before deciding to step into the more serious relationship like a marriage.

Just like Rex in the novel who decided to annul his engagement with the real Grizel because of her unbecoming behavior as the mother of the Azure nation even if she has the highest status among nobles.

Nonetheless, this world regards polygamy negatively, even though there are no lawful rules about this matter, people's belief since ancient times couldn't be changed easily, that's why love affairs and illegitimate child of nobles is not unusual hot topics among those who love to gossip.

Even the Lord of Belial's family chooses to take the next heir from the branch family than having an affair or taking a new wife to maintain his good name among the people.

fortunately, the current late Empress still managed to give birth to Rex even with her poor health, thus, Emperor Drake didn't need to take a new wife due to his true love for his wife. It means that if Grizel married Rex right now, she will inherit the vacant seat of the Empress' Crown and will be regarded as a bigger obstacle as long as she is alive for those traitors, and needed to be erased as soon as possible.

"Then why don't we marry in secret?"

Grizel furrowed her eyebrows upon his nonsense, a crown prince of a big nation married in secret like a runaway couple, it's laughable.

"Why are you in such a rush about the marriage? Even without it, our alliance is still valid. Besides, you still have 4 years before your coming of age ceremony"

There are a lot of reasons he wanted to say including his feeling but...

"As the best and resourceful informant, isn't it best to tie you down with me through marriage"

In the end, he chooses to say the most beneficial and practical reason in his mind casually. He wasn't sure of what is love yet but he likes to be with Grizel and didn't mind to crown her earlier.

"Rest assured my Prince, I have no intention to hand over my crown as well"

As someone who has the title of The Lord of Avarice, Grizel wouldn't want to hand over her position as the future Empress to the heroine either.