2. Hal Portland

Draco and his friends, after getting off the carriages, went straight to the dining hall.  A train ride tends to make you hungry.  And the food at Hogwarts was of the highest quality.  Sneering at the students who sat too close to him, Draco took his seat at the table.  It felt good to be back, even if some of his 'friends' had not returned.  Crabbe having died in the fiendfyre in the room of requirement during the war, and Goyle and his family having left the country.  Thankful at least for those who did return.  Pansy and Blaise, his best friends.  And Theo Nott, not a friend, but not an enemy either, but a fellow Slytherin.

Hearing loud laughter, he looked up at the Gryffindor table.  He saw that Harry was engaged in conversation with the Weaslette and laughing.  Gods, he hated her.  What the hell Harry saw in her was beyond him.  How could anyone find her pretty?  Yuck!  Watching Harry's face, he could see a new smile forming.  Feeling a nudge from Pansy, he looked away, and raised his eyebrow at her.

"They're not together anymore", she whispered, nodding her head towards Harry and Ginny.  "He broke up with her just before the war". 

Draco was shocked.  So, the golden boy was single again.  Clicking is tongue, he asked Pansy how she knew this.  She heard it from a friend, who heard it from a friend.  He rolled his eyes, "Whatever", he mumbled.  Professor Snape had survived the snake bites from Nagini, thanks to Harry, although no one knew this.  It was good to see him again.  The headmaster, Dumbledore stood up and addressed the hall.

"To the first years, welcome to Hogwarts.  To the older students, welcome back.  After the sorting, enjoy your meal. The 8th years will please stay behind.  Thank you".  He took his seat, and proceeded to enjoy the sorting with the rest of the school.  The sorting went smoothly, and most of the students went to Ravenclaw, with the other three houses gaining only a few students each.

Glad that it was over, everyone turned to their food.  The house elves had outdone themselves again.  The chatter was deafening. Everyone was talking, wanting to hear what each other had been up to after the war.  Draco turned his attention to the Gryffindor table again.  He noticed that Harry seemed bigger and more confident, not the clumsy looking boy of years before.  Bulging with muscles, he looked stronger.  Looking for the green eyes that he hated so much.  He loved getting Harry angry.  Like it was his drug, and he needed his daily fix.  He saw something sticking out of Harry's shirt at his neckline.  Wanting to humiliate him, he stood up.

"Potter!" he shouted. Everyone went silent.  Good, thought Draco, grateful for the effect he had. "Maybe you should consider buying new glasses.  That way you wouldn't miss the dirt on your neck when you shower", he sniggered.  Some students at his table laughed with him, like Pansy.  Harry just glared at him.  Not wanting to cause a scene, and play into Malfoy's hand, he ignored him.  He knew that Malfoy hated being ignored.  So what better way to play the game, than to master it.

"I'm talking to you Potter", he snared again.  Harry stood up and raised his fingers to his lips, as if to tell Malfoy to be quiet.  He sat back down again, and carried on talking to Ginny.  Draco was fuming.  How dare he ignore him.  In a full hall of students.  Not the response he was hoping for, but no matter, he would do better next time.  All of a sudden, the doors to the hall opened.

Head auror Constantine Robards walked in, with the minister for magic, Cornelius Fudge, and a man that had never been seen at Hogwarts before.  Professor Dumbledore stood up, and asked to what did he owe the pleasure of the Minister visiting Hogwarts on the first day that it had opened. 

"Apologies Headmaster, this man next to me is Matthew Cummings, head of the law department at the ministry, and we are here to see auror Hal Portland", answered Robards.

"We have no one here by that name Robards", was the reply.

"I'm sorry Sir", he said again, "but you know him as Harry Potter", he stated. 

Everyone stopped talking again.  All eyes turned to Harry.  Draco was watching him with a new hatred.  Why the hell would he change his name?  Did he think he was THAT special? Typical bloody Potter.  Thinking the world should fall at his feet, having the minister for magic come and see him specially.  And why in the hell did Potter look like someone who was very angry at being called out.

Serves him right, thinking he's the chosen one.  Bloody asshole.  But the harder he looked, the more he saw a different person.  This Potter looked mature, self assured and although he hated to think it, very handsome.  He looked at Pansy, and saw that she was having the same thoughts.  Blaise was watching the whole scene unfold in front of him with awe.  The whole Slytherin table had their mouths open. 

Draco rolled his eyes.  He put his fork down, and couldn't wait to hear what was going to happen next.  Well, get on with it, he thought to himself.  All the while, still watching Potter.

Potter was watching Malfoy back.  He stood up slowly, turning away from the stares and his seat, and faced the three men that had entered the hall.  He knew Robards.  He had worked with him, when he had been asked to join in some of the missions.  He also knew Fudge.  He hated the man, but when it came to official business, he was inclined to listen.  He had never met Cummings before, so he was curious. He walked up to them and shook their hands in greeting, and waited for them to start talking. 

It was Robards who cleared his throat, looked at Harry and told him why they were there.