3. A New Side of Potter

"How are you Hal?", he asked.

Harry sighed softly, and said he was feeling all right.  Much better thank you.  Everyone frowned at this statement, as they had no idea what had happened.  He would probably have to tell them after this, he thought with sadness and repulsion.

"Hal, we wanted to let you know that we have apprehended ex auror Jacob Summers", said Fudge. Harry said thank you for letting him know, and went back to his seat. Just before he sat down, Robards voice boomed out.

"Don't you want to know what happened Hal?" he asked. "Don't you care what happens to hi..?"

The change in Harry was dramatic. He stiffened and stared straight ahead of him. Staring at a mop of blond hair, he closed his eyes, and tried to focus.  Wearing a black denim, with a black button down shirt, you could see his muscles tense at the question. Walking towards the men he stood to face them. Putting his hands in his pockets, because really, how was he expected to show respect when it was never given to him.

When Harry spoke, it was with a deep voice, that was shaky.  He could feel his anger bubbling to the surface, and hoped to Merlin it wouldn't happen here in front of the students, his friends and most of all the staff.  It was so silent, you could have heard a pin drop.

"Let me get this straight", he said hoarsely.  Taking a hand out of his pocket, he pointed a finger at his own chest and stated, "I took a bullet for that man.  I took a bullet for him, a bullet from him.  More than one actually. I almost died, I was in a coma for 4 weeks.  Then he lied to me and betrayed me, and then, as if that wasn't enough, he told me to fuck off.  IN WHAT PART OF THAT PICTURE DO YOU THINK I SHOULD CARE?", he shouted, having forgotten where he was, that's how angry he was.

Shuffling uncomfortably, they all looked at each other.  They had no words.  Harry knew that they wouldn't have an answer for him, and so he answered his own question.  "Because I don't". 

"He needs to talk to you Hal, he needs to explain why", said Robards.  This only made Harry even more angrier.  "I ALREADY KNOW WHY", he shouted.  "He told me to fuck off.  This is me fucking off", and he threw his hands into the air.  Breathing heavy, he looked at each of them again, and pointed a finger at them.  "There is no excuse for betrayal.  Not for this.  He got three of my men killed, my detail killed, just for money, and I will not stand here and listen to reason, because there is none". 

"Not everyone is as brave as you Hal", Robards answered.  Harry walked up to him, just in front of his face, and replied, "Bravery has nothing to do with it.  I would rather die, than betray my friends.  My brothers.  He made his bed, and now he has to sleep in it.  Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it.  Now leave", he finished, pointing to the doors, and walked back to his seat.  Putting his head in his hands, he was shaking terribly.  Ginny placed a hand on his shoulder, and gave him a gentle squeeze.  Dumbledore stood up and asked the gentlemen to leave, that he would expect a report on what had happened by the end of the week if it were possible.  Seeing that one of his students were involved, Robards and Fudge agreed and they all left soon after.

Feeling embarrassed about how he had behaved, he stood up and faced the staff.  "I'm sorry for my behavior, and my language Professor", he said softly.  "Would you excuse me please?".  Dumbledore replied "Yes Harry", knowing that Harry had to be alone right now.  Harry turned and left to go to the bathroom.  He was shaking so bad from the anger.  The fucking audacity of Robards!  And that in front of everyone. He needed to wash his face.  Cold water would calm him.  He opened the tap, and splashed the water on his face, already starting to feel better.

Everyone was gobsmacked.  No one knew what Harry had been through after the war, and what was this talk of a bullet and a coma?  His anger was disturbing, and they wondered what was the reason.  The rest of the feast was a somewhat silent affair, and as the younger students started to shuffle out of the hall, Harry made his way back to his seat.  All the 8th years had been told to stay behind, and he didn't want to be the only one not knowing what was going on.  Hermoine, sitting opposite him, took his hand and gave it a squeeze.  She was worried about him.  She always was, and always would be.  Ron gave him a pat on the shoulder.  Harry just smiled at them.

Some of his initial embarrassment had faded, and he knew that the headmaster would want answers.  He just wasn't in the mood to give them.  Yet.  But he also knew he had no choice.  He stared ahead of him again, catching the eyes of his enemy.  Draco Malfoy.  He had absolutely no desire to explain anything in front of the git, and hoped this little meeting would be over soon.

Professor Mcgonagall cleared her throat and started talking.  "Because Hogwarts has never had an 8th year class, we have had to change a few things.  All of you will be in the same common room.  There will be no houses amongst you.  There will only be unity.  And I must insist that you project that unity onto the rest of the school.  Show them what it means to get along.  To help each other, and be there for each other.  Now, follow me, and I will show you where to put your things", she finished.

They all rose up at the same time.  "Harry!", cried someone.  Harry turned to see Luna running towards him.  He opened his arms and she ran straight into them.  Throwing her arms around his neck, she sighed, "You give the best hugs Harry Potter".  He just smiled, and tightened his grip, lifting her off her feet.  "Are you ok?", she asked.  Harry put her down, let go of her, and said that he was fine, thank you.  Now that he had seen her, he was more than fine.  She just smiled at him.

Watching the exchange between the two, Draco felt a pang of jealousy.  Not because someone was hugging Potter, no because his friends had never held him in the same regard.  He looked around for Pansy who had also seen the interaction.  She cooed at Luna, asking if Harry was her new love.  Luna laughed and said no, they were just very good friends.  Besides, she had her eye on someone else, and so did Harry.  Now Pansy loved gossip.  Her interest was piqued, and wanted to know who that someone was, but before she could ask, Harry smirked and put his arm around her waist, and they walked away together. 

Their new common room was on the bottom level, just past the dungeons.  The entrance was the school badge of all the animals.  "The password this week is "Candy Rain", said Mcgonagall. When the door opened, they entered into a room that was soft with it's grey, black and white walls.  The carpet in front of the fireplace was black.  The leather couches were white, and all the decor different shades of grey.  Harry immediately felt at home.  "You each have your own room, with your own bathroom, but if I hear of any animosity, this privilege will be revoked.  There is a bar, and you may drink alcohol, but again, if it you abuse this, it will be taken away.  You are all adults, and I trust you to act like it.  No other years will be allowed in here to drink with you, and believe me, I will know if it happens".  And with that she turned her back on them, and left the common room.

At the far end there were two sets of stairs.  Left were for the boys, and right was for the girls.  Harry grabbed his trunk and set off to find his sanctuary.  At the far end of the passage, he found it.  There was a plaque on the door - H.J.POTTER - and smiled.  He walked in and gasped out loud at the simplicity of the room.  Hogwarts always knows, he thought.  Just what they were feeling, just what they needed and wanted.  And he had wanted this. 

His room was bathed in white with just a touch of black.  Like the common room, it seemed that even here he was not a Gryffindor.  Ridiculous, he thought.  He would always be one, but having red all over the place for most of his school years had become rather tiring.  And he loved it.  His bed was against the wall, with a desk next to it just under the window.  Opposite the bed, against the wall was his closet for his clothes.  There was a stand for his firebolt, and to the left of the room was his bathroom.  With a huge shower, a toilet and a basin.  He closed his door before anyone could enter, and muttered a silencing charm.  Best not to be disturbed.

He placed his trunk at the foot of his bed, and started unpacking.  Harry's wardrobe had been upgraded since the war, and his taste in clothing was impeccable.  Well he was happy with his choices and those that weren't could fuck off.