9. Stories of Love

Draco stood in front of everyone in the same spot that Blaise had.  He asked his friend to please refill everyone's glass, and after this was done, they settled back to listen to the Slytherin.  Draco was filled with emotion.  Shame, pride, worry, regret and most of all hope.  He was a Malfoy, he had never felt these different feelings before.  He was slowly starting to question his sanity.

Clearing his throat, he knew he had to make this count.  It needed to sound sincere.  Most of his words were meant for Harry, but because he wasn't there, he had to look for the second reason for his hate.  The blood traitor Ronald Weasley, and the mudblood Hermoine Granger.  He looked at them, slowly sipping his wine.  Realizing that he couldn't refer to them like that anymore, he cleared his throat again and looked at the best friends of Harry Potter.  "Weasley, Granger.  When Blaise told me a minute ago that he was done with hate, I thought he was being a prat.  It wasn't only us who insulted you, because as much as you want to plead ignorance, you both had your fair share of throwing insults at us.  That being said, you were always goaded into it.  By me.  I will give a full account to Potter when he wakes, but all you need to know now, is that this too is my apology.  I want nothing more than to get along, finish my year, and be on my merry way".  He held out his hand to Ron, holding his breath.

Ron's mouth was open.  Not what he had been expecting or hoping for, but it was probably the best he was going to get.  From Malfoy at least.  He stood up, looking down at the hand that was being extended, and thought it's now or never.  Taking Malfoy's hand, he gripped firmly and shook.  "Thanks mate, and you're right.  You weren't the only one being a git, but we can agree to put it behind us.  For Harry.  Hermoine and I are sorry too, aren't we Moine?", he asked, still looking at Malfoy.  Hermoine stood up, and held out her hand to the Slytherin.  "Yes, of course", she stuttered.  And then she turned her attention to Pansy who was looking at all of them as if they had been cursed.

With pursed lips, she stared at Granger and nodded her head at her.  Getting a nod back, they walked up to each other and both held out their hands.  After shaking, everyone in the room let out a huge collective sigh.  As if it had been a painful experience.  Maybe it was for some of them, but at least they were taking a step in the right direction.  There was, it seemed, hope after all.  Mcgonagall knew what she was talking about. 

When the enemies had shaken hands, it was as if Hogwarts felt it.  As if a huge boulder had been lifted from the borders of the castle, and it could breathe freely again.  Luna jumped up, clapped her hands in glee, and tearfully said, "It's about time.  We should celebrate with more wine, and discuss when we can go and see Harry".  Everyone turned to look at her, and started talking at the same time.  Holding up her hands to demand silence, she corrected herself.  "All right, first wine, then discuss what is going on with him", she said.  Everyone agreed.

More wine was opened by Blaise and Draco.  They settled around the common room, some on the couches, some on the carpet.  It was a relaxed atmosphere, for which they were grateful.  They only wished that Harry was there to share it with them.  It would have brought him happiness, said Luna out loud.  Ron agreed with her, and said when he leaves the hospital wing, they will have another celebration.  A better celebration.  But for now, he was more concerned with the photos that Mcgonagall had spoken of.  Hearing this, they all went silent again. 

It was Neville who spoke first.  "The day of the war, Harry approached me in secret".  Ron looked up so fast, you could hear his neck creak.  "He was under his invisibility cloak.  He told me that Voldemort's snake, Nagini, had to be killed no matter what.  And that if he didn't make it back, there still had to be three to carry on.  Ron, Hermoine, and me. I gave him my word that I would do this for him.  Then when he turned away, I asked him if he was all right, and where he was going".  Everyone in the room was hanging onto his every word.  They were being told things that they never knew about.