22. Not a Crush

Harry was floored.  How did he know that he had feelings for anyone?  Seriously?  Did the man hide away in common rooms under invisibility cloaks or something.  Not knowing the answer to this, he asked a question of his own.  "How do you know I feel something for someone Professor?", he asked shyly.

Dumbledore looked at him over his glasses, and said very smugly, "Harry, your eyes have been sparkling ever since you came to lunch this afternoon".

So, his eyes were sparkling were they?  Hmm, he thought, and hoped to Merlin that was all the headmaster could see when he was thinking of Draco.  "I have something to tell you Sir, and I have no idea how it happened.  It just did.  At first I thought it wasn't possible, having these feelings, but I can't get rid of them", he sighed.  Getting no reaction, he carried on.  "And I don't particularly want to.  In fact I welcome them.  Every time I look at this person, I just want to hold them and protect them.  It's more than a simple crush, it's more of a feeling of overpowering love for them.  At the lunch table I cringed when one of his friends called him an endearing name.  How is that for weird?", he asked.  "I think I've had these feelings for a while now actually". 

Knowing that what he was saying would not go beyond these walls, it felt liberating to talk about his feelings to someone that he could trust.  Seeing Dumbledore smiling and nodding, he spoke some more.  "And the best part for me is, I think he feels the same.  But, I don't know if he is anxious about his friends deserting him, if he were to tell them, because Merlin knows, I don't want him to resent me for that, and so I...", Harry knew he was rambling. 

Dumbledore raised a hand and asked how Harry knew he felt the same.  Harry blushed, and looked away.  He said that when he returned to the common room, and had surprised everyone there, the love in the room was electrifying.  "We were hugging each other, and there were tears of joy, and excitement, and then the last person in the room just stood there.  Everyone just looked, and when I opened my arms to him, he just ran into them.  He hugged me back so tight, and I know we have a lot to talk about, and to let go of,  because we both started crying.  And I just held him, and he kept shaking so bad.  So much wasted time.  So much hate that wasn't even ours.  We were taught to hate, for Merlin's sake.  Then I asked everyone to leave, and give us some privacy, and when they did, I uh, I....I kissed him", he said standing up.  "And", he paused for a while, "he kissed me back", he sighed.

Dumbledore was beaming.  He had been waiting years for this to happen, and eventually, just like he knew it would, it had.  He looked at Harry with wonder, and thought, no wonder this was the man that had saved them last year.  He was strong, in every way.  The way he had held him just moments ago, was testament to that.  Physically and mentally.  Always willing to forgive, and let go.  Draco wanted to be part of something spectacular, of that Dumbledore was sure.

If two enemies, who had been plagued and consumed with hate for each other, could come together in a show of love, then the world was going to be a much better place.  And he knew Harry was right.  This was no simple crush.  He had seen the way that they looked at each other, and was excited at the prospect of it coming to fruition.  He had even told Severus and Minerva what was happening.  They thought he had lost his mind.  He loved the fact that he was right once again.  They were in for a hell of a surprise.

Still with has back to Dumbledore, he asked shyly, "You know who it is, don't you Professor?".

"Yes Harry, I know who it is.  And I also know that he feels the same.  You should see the way he looks at you when you're not looking", replied Dumbledore.

Harry turned to look at him with a blush and a smile.  "Really?", he asked.  "And you don't think I'm insane or mad just because it's him?".

"Harry, the heart wants what it wants.  No one can stop that.  Not even a powerful wizard such as myself.  And why would I want to?  I think it's brilliant", he answered.  Harry was elated.  This was what he had wanted to hear.  This approval, this acceptance.  Now he knew he had to speak to Draco, and then they would decide what comes next.  He faced his headmaster again, and asked "What now?  Do we tell the school, do we only tell the 8th years and hope for the best?  What do we do?", he asked.

"Harry, I think that you and Draco need to talk about everything.  There should be no secrets, and then when you are ready, you will know what to do.  When the time comes, so will Draco", he said with a wink.  Harry knew what he was referring to, and smiled back at his mentor.  So he had to have a talk with a sexy Slytherin.  That he could easily arrange.  Thanking Professor Dumbledore, he left the office and went for a walk on the grounds.

Reaching the lake, he was overwhelmed by the amount of love he had for this man.  He wanted to tell Draco how he was feeling.  How he wanted to hold him, love him, cherish him, spoil him, kiss him, dance with him, make love to him, even fight with him, but as long as they were together, then they could handle hate if it were thrown their way.  He admitted that he was feeling apprehensive, but shoved that aside immediately.  There was no way that Draco would have kissed him back if he didn't feel the same way.  Surely?

If there was a slight chance that he didn't feel the same, he still had to let his heart be known.  And telling Dumbledore was great.  Now at least someone knew and understood what he was going through.  Anyone who wanted to label it as a simple crush could go to hell.  Cho was a crush, and what a disappointment that had been.  No, it was as clear as day.  This was no crush.  This was love.