15. Good News & Bad News

Once they had all shuffled in, she cleared her throat.  Neville, being the gentleman as always offered her a brandy.  She smiled at him, and said that would be wonderful.  He poured one for all of them.  A small one, because they wanted to keep their wits about them, and hear every damn word she had to say.

Taking the glass from Neville, she started. "I have some news about Potter.  Some good, and some bad.  I will start with the bad news first so that it's out of the way.  Then I will tell you the good news".

They all looked at her.  That didn't sound good.  They didn't want to hear bad news, and what was worse besides what had already happened.  Not even realizing it, they were all holding their breath, bracing themselves for the worst.

"The bad news is that Harry is still weak, and will probably need to stay in the hospital wing for another week, at least", she said.  That wasn't so bad, they each thought.  "Most of his anger has dissipated, but we don't know if will come to the surface again.  We will only know this if there are certain triggers.  Now I know all of you have been doing your utmost best to get along, and I commend you for it.  Keep doing it", she said sternly looking at all of them.

"Now for the good news.  Exactly what you have been discussing with each other every night, about how to put the past behind you, and how to move on from the hate and the prejudice, I do not know.  What I can tell you, is that Harry said he felt every single emotion coming from all of you, and that none of it was fake.  It was as real as can be.  And he said to thank all of you, from the bottom of his heart.  It is because of you all, that he has been feeling better so suddenly.  I would also like to thank all of you for doing this.  Just one more thing, do any of you know if Harry has feelings towards someone here at Hogwarts?"

Draco almost choked on his brandy.  When Professor Mcgonagall looked at him with a raised brow, he thought he had given his feelings away.  But when he just turned towards the others to hear an answer, she asked again, "Anyone?"  Hermoine raised her hand as if she was in class, and started talking quietly.

"I know that he has had feelings for someone for quite some time Professor, but he would never tell us who it was.  And if I were to guess, then I don't think it's a simple crush.  I think Harry is head over heels in love with this person.  Almost as if he wants the world to know not to touch them, because they belong to him.  But as to who it is, I cannot say", she said softly.  But that was a lie, because she had a pretty good idea who it was.  It just wasn't her place to say it.  "Why do you ask Professor?".

"Thank you Miss Granger.  I am asking because Harry said he felt a strong surge of love from a particular person, and it felt familiar, but couldn't say who from.  And do you know if anyone here has feelings towards Mr Potter?", she asked.  Draco was getting hot under the collar.  He hoped to Merlin that Pansy wouldn't say anything, and that Hermoine was  not as clever when it came to matters of the heart.  Again, she shook her head, and said no, she wasn't sure.  "But I am almost certain that whoever Harry does love, is a Slytherin", she said suddenly.

"Why would you say that?", asked Pansy in a panicked voice.

"Because Harry would never mention the house whenever Ron and I asked.  It's like he wanted our approval, and thought we would never give it if he were to fall for a Slytherin.  The two houses have hated each other for centuries".  Mcgonagall nodded, and answered, "Yes, your powers of deduction have always been spot on, thank you Miss Granger.  Again, keep sending Harry your love, he appreciates it, and I will be back with an update shortly", and with that she turned to leave.

Draco jumped out of his chair and asked in a husky voice, "When will his friends be allowed to visit him Professor?".  She looked at him, and said she would have to get permission from the headmaster and of course from Harry.  She would let them know.  He thanked her, and sat back down.

Draco felt crushed.  He wanted to leave the common room and go be alone in his room.  Harry had feelings for someone.  He had had them for years apparently.  Who knew?  Hermoine Granger that's who.  He wondered if she was telling the truth when she said she didn't know who it was, and because Slytherins were famous for thinking alike, Pansy asked what he had been thinking.  "Hermoine, you have to have some idea who it is that Harry likes.  If he's liked the same person for years, surely something must have slipped out", she asked.

Hermoine shook her head,  "Even if I did know Pansy, I wouldn't betray Harry in that way.  It is his place to tell this person how he feels.  I just hope he plucks up the courage and does it because he needs to show this person so much love, his heart will probably burst if he doesn't.  We just have to support him in his decision.  I need to know that all of you will support him in whoever he decides to love" she said.

One by one they all agreed, that whoever Harry wanted in his life, they would accept them, and treat them with the love and respect that Harry deserved.  After promising this, Draco left his chair and went straight to his room.  Throwing himself on his bed, he felt the tears slowly coming.  He desperately wanted to know who the person was that Harry had feelings for.  He was the one who had hated Harry for so long.  He was the one who had loved him for longer.  And now he was going to lose him.  Not brave like a Gryffindor, he would never be able to tell him how he felt.  He choked out a sob at this thought.

Life was so fucking unfair.  He felt nothing but sorrow at that point, and decided that he wouldn't leave his room for breakfast, he would just wallow away in his self pity.  But then he remembered he was a Malfoy.  He would not wallow.  He would put on the face that he had been projecting all these years, and no one would know what he was feeling.  He would go to breakfast, and he would treat everyone as friends, and he would show them that he was a sneaky Slytherin.  But he would not show them his true feelings.

The good news was that he knew he could do this, he had been doing it for most of his life.  The bad news was that he knew he was lying to himself.