10. The Isolation Ward

Dumbledore and Snape had placed Harry in his own isolation ward.  They knew that he needed time to heal, and maybe even time to vent most of, if not, all of his anger.  Hoping that he would emerge from the infirmary with a healed soul, they tried to make him as comfortable as possible.  He had a double bed, with cool cotton sheets.  The room was done in a pale yellow, which was said to be calming.  His own bathroom with a shower and a bath, and a desk at the end of the room, if he felt that he needed to work while in there.  They didn't expect it of him, but chose to give him that option.  There was a huge window separating his room from the rest of the hospital wing, so that he would be able to see his visitors, and only then allow them entry.

His clothes had been removed, and he had been given a bath by at least six of the house elves.  Working silently, they washed his hair, and cleaned his tear streaked face.  Gently rubbing away the tiredness that had taken him just minutes before.  The tattoo that Harry had got, the one that Draco had called dirt, started just under his left ear, up into his neck.  It traveled down the left side of his chest, and ended just below his V line above his pelvis.  It was a mixture of a lily field, paw prints, a stag and a bright moon.  The beauty of this tattoo was that it had been charmed to move.  The stag could blink its eyes, the moon could change shape according to it's cycle, the paw prints and the lilies could move as if being blown by a gentle breeze.  It was magnificent.

The house elves knew how important Harry Potter was to their world.  While they were bathing him, they felt a kinship.  Their hearts were broken at the sight of their savior, who always had a kind word to say to them.  Not because of what he was going through right now no, but because underneath the very beautiful tattoo, were scars.  Scars of being betrayed.  Scars of what he had gone through just months before, when he had gone on that fateful mission for the ministry.  Three tiny bullet holes, not visible to the naked eye, but could be felt.

They continued their work, not saying a word.  Respecting that what he needed most of all was rest paired with silence.  And so when he was clean, they toweled him dry, and dressed him in a pair of boxers and pajama pants, and placed him on the bed.  Turning towards the headmaster, they said they were finished, and to please call if they were needed for anything else.  The headmaster thanked them for their impeccable service, and said he would call if it were necessary.  They all turned back to Harry, and placed their hands on him at the same time, in a show of unity and strength.  They then apparated back to the kitchens.

"How long do you think he will need Headmaster?", asked Snape.  He had removed Harry's glasses from his robes and had placed them on the night stand.  Looking down at the boy sleeping, he waited for the answer.  "As to this, I cannot say Severus, but I'm sure that Harry will heal fast.  He has that ability", was the reply.  "We shall come back tomorrow to see if he is awake, but I doubt that he will be", said Dumbledore.  And with that they both left the hospital wing. 

Madam Pomfrey was glad they had gone.  Every single year Harry had been a patient of hers.  She felt sorry for him.  Having gone through hell the previous year, and now apparently again, she wished everyone would just leave him alone and let him be a teenager.  But the truth was, he wasn't one.  He was already a man.  Not by age, but by experience.  And wasn't that just the saddest thing.  She was going to make his stay pleasant, and had been told by Dumbledore that the length of his stay was indefinite.

She was under strict instructions to call the headmaster if any changes occurred, and not to allow any visitors for at least a week.  He would be coming round anyway to check on him, and to please see to it that he was comfortable.  She could call the elves to bathe him every day, if she herself could not do it.  He had also asked the elves to bring Harry's clothes and toiletries from his room, so that when he woke, he would feel some kind of normal.

Staring down at him, she didn't hear the door open.  When she was aware that someone else was in the room, she saw that Professor Mcgonagall was standing next to her.  "Minerva", she asked nervously, "do you think that Harry will be able to move on from this?".  Mcgonagall smiled while looking at Harry, knowing very well that if anyone was going to come out of this and move on, it would be Harry.  "Yes Poppy, he most certainly will.  And the best part is, he has the help of us and Hogwarts to do it.  I have already spoken to the 8th years about unity, and you would be surprised at how well they have conformed", she replied with a knowing look.  She put a hand on the matron's shoulder and said if she needed anything, to please call her immediately.

There had been no change during the evening, and the house elves had been asked to look after Harry while everyone went down to breakfast.  When everyone was seated, Dumbledore stood up, cleared his throat for the attention of everyone, and started his speech.  "I am sure you are all wondering what happened here yesterday with Harry.  And because there should be no secrets here at Hogwarts, I will share what I can".  Everyone stared at him, holding their breaths, because yes, an explanation would be welcoming.  "Because of his defeat of Voldemort last year, Harry was approached by the ministry to help apprehend a death eater that has been evading capture for quite a while.  I will not give you his name, as this information is classified.  What I can tell you is that Harry was led into an ambush, by the very person that he trusted.  He had three junior aurors working with him, but who were also part of his detail.  They were all killed in combat, and Harry was severely injured.  He hasn't completely healed, and has been placed in the hospital wing for further observation".

The students all looked at one another, then back at their headmaster.  Their faces had a look of disgust.  Dumbledore was trying very hard not to show his emotions, but he was finding it difficult.  He cared very deeply for Harry, and was sure that the rest of the school knew it.  Hogwarts had never known anyone like him.  And it was on their shoulders and in their hearts to save him.  "He is sleeping, and will probably sleep for a while, but I must insist that no one go and visit him.  He needs his rest to recuperate, and he needs a lot of it.  Madam Pomfrey has been given strict instructions not to allow anyone in to see him, and also if there are any changes to let me know immediately.  The minute I know, you will know.  There are perhaps many questions that need answers, but for now that can wait.  One step at a time.  Thank you", he finished.  He sat down and started eating.

All the 8th years looked at one another.  So, another piece of the puzzle that had just fallen into place.  Harry felt responsible for the deaths of others.  How bloody typical.  Thankful for the partial explanation from Dumbledore, they turned back to their food, although none of them were feeling hungry.  They all knew that they had more things to discuss when they made it back to their common room.

Draco, Pansy and Blaise were excited.  They were privy to information that they had never known about before.  And what a wonderful feeling it was.  They couldn't wait to hear more about the chosen one.