16. Jacob Summers

Saturday morning broke early for the inhabitants of Hogwarts.  The start of a weekend was always a treasure, and everyone wanted to make the most of their alone time.  The 8th years were allowed to go to Hogsmeade, while the younger students could laze around outside all day.   If they wanted to.  They all left together, heading out of the common room, having had breakfast, with their pockets lined with galleons.  Luna felt a particular strong urge to buy something for Harry, so that when she saw him again, she could give it to him.

Some of the staff members were grateful that it was the weekend.  They would never tell you this because that took a bit of the mystery away, but they too enjoyed alone time.  Away from work, and away from students.  Students could be tiring, demanding, and slightly annoying.  Dumbledore and Snape had risen early, and had gone to check on Harry.  He was asleep again, not having woken up since the first time.  

Dumbledore smiled at the green eyed man, knowing that the longer he slept, the faster he would heal.  Hogwarts was healing him.  And he understood the power of the castle, even if no one else did.  Just before 9am, they both apparated to the ministry.  At precisely 9am, there was a knock on the door of Head Auror, Constantine Robards.  Because he had been expecting them, he opened the door immediately.

"Professor Dumbledore.  Professor Snape.  Thank you for your punctuality", he said shaking their hands.  Snape shook his hand firmly and entered the room first.  He had told the headmaster that he would be doing this, on account of being suspicious by nature.  Dumbledore greeted Robards with a shake and a pat on the back, as if to say, thank you once again, we will not be long.  Snape cleared his throat, and turned to look at Dumbledore.

There, in the middle of the office floor, on an iron chair, with his hands chained behind his back, and his feet bound in front of him, was the ex auror, Jacob Summers.  Tall and lean, with a shaggy beard, and dark brown eyes.  The man who had betrayed Harry Potter.  Hal Portland. His friend. His brother. A fellow auror.  A sneer of disgust was on the potions master's face as he looked at the man.  Up and down, and if looks could kill, he would have keeled over just there.  But Snape knew his place, and Dumbledore wanted to do this his way.

After being offered seats, and refreshments which they turned down, the room was silent once more.  Only the ragged breathing of the man tied to the chair could be heard.  Dumbledore sat in front of him, with Robards to his left and Snape to his right.  He looked at the man who had been team leader on so many missions, and wondered where he went wrong.  This man looked almost broken.  As if there had never been a choice.  But then he remembered, you always have a choice.  And his decision to betray, murder and maim was on his shoulders, and his shoulders alone.

"I trust you know why we are here Mr Summers", started Dumbledore.  The ex auror lifted his head, and nodded.  Yes he knew why they were here.  They wanted answers. 

"I am going to ask you a few questions, and I must implore you to tell the truth.  I will know if you don't.  Is that understood?". 

Again there was a nod.  Not trusting his voice, because it hadn't been used for a while, he waited for the set of questions that were coming his way.  When Robards had taken him out of Azkaban, and told him that Dumbledore wanted to see him, he immediately knew why.  He had only agreed to the meeting to find out if Hal was all right.  He wanted confirmation that he was going to be ok.  Mentally and physically.  

"We know what happened on the mission.  We know that you betrayed Harry, or as you know him, Hal.  We know that you worked with Wormtail on said mission, and we also know that you killed two of the three men that had been placed under the protection of Harry.  Then, using a muggle weapon, you shot him three times. We know that you were paid to do this.  What we don't know is why.  Why would you betray a friend and a brother like that?  Don't you realize what you have done.  What Harry has done for our world?", asked Dumbledore.