038

"Eunji." The boy happily skipped towards her, holding a big bouquet of flowers with a huge smile on his face, "Here. It's for you."

"Woah." She gratefully returned the smile, getting hold of the flowers before taking in its scent. It was sweet, tickling her nose in the most gentle way possible, "Thank you so much. What's the special occasion?"

"There's none." He nodded, suddenly bringing her closer to him, "I'm just grateful to be by your side."

Eunji's smile slightly dropped. She put down the bouquet carefully, a sigh leaving her lips, "Heeseung...I-"

"You don't return my feelings. I know." Heeseung quickly cut her off, a bitter taste on his tongue. "And I also know that you aren't over him yet. But I'm just happy to be your..friend, Eunji. These flowers, they..they don't mean anything."

"Thank you." She repeated, her smile slowly returning. The two of them have had this conversation before. A lot of times actually. And it would always end up the same.

How long has it been?
Eunji couldn't help but let herself drop onto her own couch, reminiscing about her painful past.

Heeseung visited her from time to time, but she was still alone mostly. She was now living alone after she had just recently finished school.

Yes, it had been that long.

A few years had gone by, but Eunji was never able to forget it. Maybe it was because of the way how it ended. How messy and tearful the separation was.
She never wanted to end it after all.

Her almost relationship with Jungwon.

Jungwon, the stubborn vampire that left her.

Eunji knew that his heart was already in her hands.
But it was locked close by his insecurities.
By his fears.
By the trauma he grew up with.

She didn't have the key.
Nor did he.

Their relationship was bound to fail from the beginning. But as stubborn and inexperienced as they were, they closed their eyes and held each other's hands tightly, risking it all.
Just for the ground to collapse underneath them.

And while Eunji did bad, Jungwon was doing a lot worse.

Unbelievable! The cold boy that would always push everyone away and was afraid of affection, was the one who was affected the most among the two.
He was the one who initiated the separation!
It was him!

So, how bad could he possibly be doing?

Eunji was full of regrets. Regretting that she didn't have the chance to confess her feelings to him and that she didn't hold onto the boy tighter.

But Jungwon on the other hand, didn't have anything he regretted. At least at first glance.

As terrible as it sounded, it was.

He kept telling himself that it was the right thing he did, till it would start to eat him up from the inside. While his mind managed to convince him, the guilt was taking his heart apart, with remorse and the anger at himself as bystanders.

While Eunji was conscious about the miserable state she was in, Jungwon wasn't. He would pretend to be fine, fooling himself and others, while he had to suffer with the consequences himself.