Date?

As we walked into the coffee shop I saw Gabe at the counter taking orders. He's about as tall as Dametri and built very similar. He's a blonde, blue eyed God as all the girls at the university says. He smiled as we walked in then his smile faded when he saw Dametri. I looked at Dametri then said, "Go pick out a table. I'll put in the order. What would you like?" Dametri shrugged then said, "I wouldn't know.. I never had coffee before." What?? I laughed then said, "What? Have you lived under a rock or something?" He smiled and said "Practically. I was homeschooled until I enrolled into the university. My parents never had coffee in the house.. so I never tried it." I laughed a bit more then said, "Well it looks like I'll be taking your coffee virginity." He smiled as he walked to take the table by the window and said, "It looks to be the case."

I walked up to the counter as Gabe finished an elderly lady's order. She stepped to the side and I stepped forward. Gabe grinned as he said, "What would you and your date like to drink today?" I shook my head annoyed then said, "Not a date.. just a very persistent guy who really wanted to go out with me." He smiled dryly then said, "Good." I stared at him then said, "Why do you say that?" He glanced toward Dametri then changed the subject, "What would you two like today?" I gave Gabe a curious look then said, "Two mocha lattes please." He gave me a smile that made his blue eyes twinkle then said, "Coming right up. I'll deliver it to your table." I gave him 8.50 then walked back to Dametri. He sat there staring out the window watching people pass by. I sat down in front of him as his gaze returned to me. He smiled and I smiled back then said, "So homeschooled, huh?" He shrugged then said, "Yeah.. I was always busy either learning, training, or helping around the house to be able to really go out and explore what the world has to offer." His face.. his expression.. there was a reflection of remorse hidden on his otherwise stoic face. He picked up a packet of sugar and shook it as I asked, "So what did you train for?" His expression turned to regret as packet of sugar dropped from his hand as he cleared his throat, "My parents were always cautious people. They believed something inevitably bad was going to happen in the world. Whether it was war or invasion.. they never told me.. all I knew is that they wanted me to be strong. Emotionally and physically." I tried to hide my surprise. Had they known about the war that was going to hit our soil? Did they know about the veil thinning and the battle between heaven and hell edging closer and closer? Impossible. Normal mundanes have hardly any register to the world changing other than the fact that the world is getting worse and worse. Not many people even noticed the famine, the swarms of locusts in rural areas, the statue of the angel losing its trumpet. The world was oblivious to the signs of the end of times. Gabe walked over to us with the drinks in hand. He set them on the table, watching the exchange between Dametri and I. Gabe gave me a sweet smile and pulled out the money I previously had given him then said, "Its on the house.." My smile widened then I said, "I couldn't possibly accept." Gabe shook his head, "You are my favorite customer.. and I am happy to see you actually spending time with someone other than a book." I blushed then whispered thank you. Gabe grinned as he wiped his hand on his smock then said, "Hopefully this means that you'll have more time to spend with other people." I laughed and wanted to say don't get your hopes up but decided to hold my tongue. Gabe walked off to clean the counter as Dametri had a venomous look as he stirred his coffee then said, "Looks like I'm not the only one who has fans following my tail." I gawked, "Who? Gabe? No way. He's just glad that I brought someone in. He's a bit protective.. I mean, we dont really spend time together. Other than when I come here and get my daily dose of caffeine but he always prods about me not going out and enjoying the joys of the world or something. Plus.. I am sure he is glad about the extra business." Dametri laughed as he continued to stir and stared at his coffee then said, "Okay maybe but then why would he give you free coffee if it were for business?" I was quiet.. probably because a free handout could lead to more business? I dont know.. I took a sip of my coffee then said, "So how does your parents think of you going to a University?" He looked up at that then said, "I wouldn't know.. they probably wouldn't approve.." I nearly spat out my coffee then gaped, "They dont know you're here?" He bit his lip then said, "Its not that I havent told them or kept it a secret but they both passed away. They got into a car accident a while ago. So.." I felt so bad for him, "Do you have any siblings?" Dametri shook his head, "No.. Just me." I set down my cup then whispered, "My mom.. she recently passed too." His body stiffened as I continued talking, "She was my best friend. I told her pretty much everything.. I understand in a sense how you feel." I reached out and put my hand on top of his. His pale face got even paler. It almost looked as if he had never been touched before. Honestly, it's not safe touching other people. It's so easy to get overcrowded by what they are feeling or thinking. But with him, its silence. Utter silence. He turned his hand around to grab mine then whispered, "I'm sorry.." I gave him a sympathetic smile then let go and grabbed my coffee once more. He gave me a half smile then returned his hand to his coffee. I gave him a curious smile then asked, "Are you going to just look at it or are you going to try it?" He took a deep breath then picked it up. He inhaled the steam and aroma then said, "It doesn't smell like poison." I giggled at his hesitation. He took a sip then scrunched up his face. Even when he finds something disgusting he still looks attractive. Ugh. He glared and spat it back into the cup, "By the Gods, Eliana! Who would want torture themselves enough to drink this!?" His voice was higher than normal. The people in the cafe glanced over as I burst out laughing. He's like a child who never had wine before and decided he'd like to try a sip. I shook my head and drank the remainder of my coffee then said, "Let's go before the poison sets in. Cant have you dying in front of an audience." He gave me a look of shock as I stood up, "I'm kidding daredevil. Come on." He stood up while I left a tip on the table and waved goodbye to Gabe. We walked out of the cafe and I smiled the whole time.