22. Twenty Two

"Hi" Jimin smiled. He recognized Jungkook's voice.

"Hello again pumpkin" Jungkook said and was suddenly pulled inside by the mother.

"Young man, I'm very angry with you" she said with her arms crossed against her chest when they were all inside. She was also tapping with her foot and really tried to embody the 'angry mom' image.

"I know what you must be thinking ma'am. I completely assume responsibility, it won't happen again" Jungkook apologized.

"Oh please call me Jen" she smiled, waving her hand down to dismiss the formalities. Suddenly she seemed to remember how she was supposed to act and frowned again "I'm still mad" she added as she walked away.

"Anyway, to redeem yourself you'll help us bake these sugar cookies" she announced from the kitchen and Jungkook wasn't even surprised, of course he would end up doing something totally unrelated to his visit.

"I can't bake I'm afraid" he tried and she scoffed.

"Did you think Jimin was anywhere near good?" she joked and Jimin gasped.

"Hey! You've been telling me I was decent, what happened to that?"

"Yeah, to boost your ego and get you to do better every time." she explained and Jungkook laughed.

The mom took care of the dough and had them cut it or flatten it. They put the batch in the oven and waited on their phones, or cleaning, in the case of Jimin's mother.

"I actually came here for a reason" Jungkook spoke out of the blue, catching both their attentions. Jimin looked at him questioningly, locking his phone and leaning on the island as he waited for the rest of the words.

"I wanted to invite you both to spend Christmas Eve with my family. I already talked to my parents and everything" he said and the two just looked at each other, unsure of how to react.

"That's very kind of you, but you'll be celebrating with your family, we wouldn't want to impose" Jen politely declined.

"Well as you know" turning to Jimin "Tae's fam will be there too, so two more people won't really bother anybody" he replied.

They stayed silent again for a couple seconds, Jimin knew this was because of that night when he told him about his father and how he felt about Christmas that year, his mom also made the connection, but they just all silently agreed not to point it out.

Jen turned to her son who zoned out, thinking about what they discussed that night, the honest exchange they had and how Jimin felt about it all. Jungkook was patient, he didn't really need an answer right then and there, so he just waited.

"I think we will take you up on that offer then" the mom said and Jungkook raised an eyebrow, Jimin's reaction was somehow unreadable. His expression was blank but at the same time his gaze held a few emotions.

"I'm glad to hear that, I hope the answer made consensus" he chuckled, pointing his words at Jimin whose position was still not clear. The boy cleared his throat and nodded.

"What mom said" he simply replied and Jungkook clapped his hands "Great, that's settled then. Should we move on to the decoration of these cookies?" he asked, looking at the hot tray Jen pulled out.

"They would have to cool down first, we gotta give them 15min or something" she said and he nodded.

"Kook you don't have to stay, it's fine you helped enough, right mom?" Jimin spoke, a tight smiled on his lips that doesn't reach even close to his eyes. He was kicking him out. It was surprising but Jungkook wouldn't question it, the younger was a mess lately.