Confessions of a Curvy Lady

No not of Ama... well maybe a little. This is the place where I will provide you with some background information on the book and its characters. And give you some more information about me in the process.

This book started as an exercise in writing in first person from different POV's and to force myself to keep the chapters short. I had absolutely no clue where I was going with this. At all.

Ama is a reflection of me. All characters are in a way, but she holds most of my personality, and her character development matched mine. I grew more confident along with her while I was writing this book.

This book is my character on display. I really wanted to poke holes in stereotypes and cliches. I wanted to share my view of the world and how I think the world should be. Nothing is a coincidence in here. Everything has a deeper meaning, a reason to write about it.

Mona and Montell have this fairytale, perfect romance because it's a rarity in books for POC. And it shouldn't be. I got annoyed by it, so I changed it by writing it my way.

Ama is a seemingly confident, curvy, and sexy woman, who is not all that confident on the inside. And misses family love in her life. And needs to start loving herself. 

Mona is... I will admit it now, she is based on my best friend; oncetheywrite I kept her in mind when I wrote Mona. Wondered what she would say or do. And wanted to give her all the love I could, in many different ways. Mona is Rena.

Feli is a bold, sexy stripper but most of all an amazing single mom. Again contrast, different view, stereotype breaking.

Montell is not a thug but a sweet, caring man, loving his mom and aunt and most of all Mona with all he has. 

Noah looks like the fit, tough guy but is still the stuttering nerd in his heart. One that reads chick-lit even.

X is the Asian smart guy, but more of a player than all of the other guys combined. 

Donté has the looks and smoothness of a player. Has the equipment to be one. But he wants a steady relationship. Longs for true love.

So yes, stereotype breaking characters, because stereotypes are stupid. We are all different. There's no certain way we should be based on our race or body type. 

We should be ourselves. At all times. There's no one like you. 

Carry your personality with pride. Carry your body with pride. Love yourself with all that you've got. You're all you truly need. And you can love others so much better if you love yourself first. 

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL

YOU ARE ENOUGH

Love, Hankie.