CHAPTER 23:A ROUGH DAY

I took his hand in mine and looked down at him. Don't do this to me-you have to be strong. Don't die on me,is exactly what I've been thinking since Judy the nurse gave me the news. My Father isn't doing so good and the doctors are concerned.

I remember them being concerned once before and he pulled through, maybe he'll pull through again. I don't know what I'll do if he doesn't. I've been hoping and praying for him to wake up-But it seems so far from that now.

"You'll keep me updated?"I glanced in Judy's direction,as she stood by my Dad's bedside checking the monitors.

"Of course. I have your number-I'll call you."Just as I was about to open my mouth she got there before me."I'll call you before Finley,I know."

"Thank you,Judy."I looked down at my Dad again,his hair white in colour now it's been so long since it's had a "Just for Men." in it. Hating the Grey, my Father used to dye it all the time. My Mom loved it though. She always used to say that she was going to go Grey gracefully.

"You've been here all day,Vanessa.Why don't you take a brake and go home to your husband?"She placed her hand on my shoulder,consolingly.

My husband-The man I haven't seen in days because I don't know to say to him when I do. He never did apologise for hitting Alex. Jeremy Austin isn't that type of man.

I stood from the bed."I have a class in awhile anyway-But I'll come back and check in."I looped my wool check style scarf around my neck and pulled the zip up on my black leather jacket." Keep me updated."

"I will."Judy got back to what she was doing as I left the room. It's been our agreement for over a year now,that if anything was to happen to my Father she would call me first.

I took the elevator downstairs and walked towards the entrance. When I got closer to the glass double doors,a familiar face walked towards me.What is he doing here?

"Alex-What are you doing here?"I looked at him confused,as I went in for a hug.

"Well you haven't been returning my calls the last few days so I had hoped you might be here. My next stop was Jeremy's House."Alex pulled back from the embrace and smiled at me.

I've been avoiding him because of the very reason I was wearing a baseball cap on my head-I didn't want him to see the plaster that was covering my stitches. But thankfully he didn't.

"I'm sorry-I know I've been such a bad friend. My Dad isn't doing so great so I've had a lot on my mind."I walked towards the entrance of the hospital. So I was exaggerating a little bit-I only found out about my Dad this morning.

"Is he okay?"He asked,with a concerned look on his face. Alex has been by my side this past year-He's been my Rock actually."I wish you would have called me-I could have been there for you."

"I know-I've just been all over the place and I didn't want to worry anyone."I fetched my keys from the zip pocket messenger bag that I had hanging from my shoulder."How did you get here?"

"I ran-I needed the exercise before my  class in an hour."He wiped the sweat from his forehead. I should have known that Alex ran here instead of taking the bus or a taxi. Wherever he's going-He's walking or running.

I pulled my scarf closer to my neck, feeling the breeze."Well let me give you a ride back.I have my Friday Night's Couple's Ballroom class,so I'm going in that direction anyway."

He grinned."Alright,I'll take the lift since I want the catch up."Alex and I walked the car park towards my car."So how is that Arranged Husband of yours?"