SEVEN

Cries filled the early morning air. She woke with a frown. Where were the cries coming from. She felt bad for the child that was making that sound. Why wasn't the parent calming them down?

As the cries continued and seemed to echo through the silent air outside, she sat up. She looked around for a moment before frowning.

Her windows were closed. How was she hearing the cries of a child? An infant? She couldnt explain how she was hearing the sound. She slipped into a pair of pajama pants and a sweatshirt, to cover the shorts and sports bra she usually slept in. She slipped her feet into a pair of sandals before working her way out of the cabin.

Outside the cries seemed louder. She had to close her eyes to orient herself to figure out where the cries were coming from.

It didnt take long before she realized that the cries were coming from the cabin next door.

Almost without thinking, she was walking from her cabin to the door of the one next door. She was knocking before she knew what was happening. 

She had no idea what she was doing. She didnt have a plan. Just hearing those cries, the cries of a child in need, made her feel like she needed to do something about it. Her nanny Instincts told her to offer her help. But her mind was telling her to turn around and go back home.

After waiting a few moments, she decided that whoever was inside either didnt her her or didnt want to answer the door. She was just turning to leave when the door opened and there stood the man from the clinic. In his arms was not one but two babies. Both crying and red faced. His hair was a tangled mess and he had dark circles under his eyes. She could almost feel the exhaustion radiating off of him.

"Can I help you?" He demanded louder than normal as trying to talk over the babies.

She nodded her head. "I can help you." She reaches for one of the babies but he steps back, looking like someone was about to attack them. "Please. The cries are hurting my heart."

Hesitantly, he nods toward the baby she just now realized was wearing blue. She grabs the baby and lifts him to her shoulder and starts burping him, as she follows  the man into the cabin.

The baby is slowly calming down, hiccupping out a sob here and there. Not long after she was inside the poor little guy let loose a big burp and settled down into her shoulder.

Meanwhile the other baby is still crying and sobbing. The man tried to mimic her movements with the one shes holding but it's not doing anything. She motions to switch and takes her from him.

She places the baby on her shoulder, bouncing and patting her back as she tries to calm the girl.

Chastity looks around the room and spots a pacifier on the table. She walks over to it and picks it up. She shifts the baby to a laying position in her arm before giving it to her.

Almost as soon as the pacifier hits her mouth, she stops crying.

"How..." He winces changing his tone to a whisper. "How did you do that? They've been crying for the last hour."

She smiles. "Let's lay them down. Swings or cribs? If you have them."

"Swing. I wont be getting anymore sleep this morning." He says.

Together they lay the babies down and they move into his kitchen, not far enough away that they cant see the babies, but enough distance they wont have to whisper.

"I used to be a nanny." She says. "Each cry is different. It just takes time to figure out which one is which."

"Do you have children?" He asks her.

She shakes her head. "No. But I love kids." She looks up and him and gasps. "I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Chastity. I live next door."

"Passion." He says. "How did you know I needed help?"

"I heard their cries. It broke my heart and I couldn't just not offer to help."

He frowns. "Heard them? How? The windows aren't open."

She frowned. Her windows were closed as well. How had she heard them? How had no one else heard them? It confused her. How could she answer that question? She didnt have an answer herself.

"Um... I... I dont know." She says looking down at her hands.

Silence envelopes them, making her feel awkward. She didnt know what to say. She didnt know what to do. She had helped him calm the babies and knew she needed to leave, but part of her didn't wanted to leave. Part of her wanted to stay here. She felt warm, calm, like she belonged here, in this room, with him. But she knew that wasnt the case. She didnt belong anywhere. Not anymore.

"I... I should go." She says as she turns to leave, without looking at him.

"Wait." He says.

She stops moving and turns to look at him. She meets his gaze and stops.

Blue eyes meet hers. Warmth fills her. The world around her disappears and a sense of calm washes over her. All that exists is him. Long blonde hair, tanned skin, muscles that are calling her name. Its almost as if he is all that exists.

Her heart starts racing, and her breathing accelerates. Before she knows what is happening, she is moving.

She finds herself standing in front of him, looking up into that handsome chiseled face. She looks down at that dusky pink mouth of his. Before she knows what she is doing, she's leaning forward, intent on tasting them.

A sudden piercing cry fills the room. She jump back as heat fills her cheeks. She turns away from him and starts walking out.

"Hes dirty. Better change him before he wakes his sister." She says as she walks out of the cabin.