TWELVE

He watched her run away from him. At first he was worried that he had upset her, but then he remembered she smelled different. Like her scent was tainted with something. He wasn't sure what it was so he ignored it. But now that he is thinking about it again, he still doesn't know what it was.

He wants to run after her, but he cant because of the babies. Their carseats are inside and their stroller is inside as well. So he cant run after her, not if he is carrying him.

Almost in a panic, he looks around and spots Joy on her morning walk. He waves her over and she comes over wearing a frown.

"Can you sit with them please? I need to check on Chastity." He says.

"Did something happen to her?" Joy asks him.

"I was asking her if she would nanny for the babies when I return back to work in a few days, but she never answered me. She said she needed to get to the clinic. I need to see if shes okay." He says.

"Ill stay. You go."

He doesn't have to be told twice. He stands and takes off running. He races through the streets of the compound, ignoring anyone who calls his name. He is on a mission. One he doesn't want to stray from.

Finally, he reaches the clinic and rushes in. Sam is at the counter and looks at him with a concerned look on her face.

"Passion, is everything alright?" She asks him.

"Is Chastity here?" He demands.

"Ah... Yes. She is in room three." Sam tells him. "But be careful..."

He doesn't hear the rest of what she is saying. He rushes down the hall to room three. He pushes the door open and frowns.

On the bed in the middle of the room is Chastity on the bed. She is hooked up to an IV that is feeding blood into her body. Her eyes are closed and she looks to be in a little bit of pain. Ari is off to the left and talking on the phone.

"She had blood a week ago. I thought you said she would need two weeks...." Ari starts running her free hand through her hair. "Same symptoms as before. Headache, muscle fatigue, and she passed out... Well, what else could be causing this?... I don't know. Im giving her two bags now. Should I do more?" Ari looks up and jumps at the sight of him. "Okay, Ill keep her on two and go from there. If you can think of anything else let me know. I don't want her to keep getting this bad... Thanks, bye." She turns to him. "How much did you hear?"

He frowns at her. "She needs blood? This happened before? When?"

"Just over a week ago. She passed out in the street. Rage brought his friend Kai here, shes a halfling as well, and she told me it was because she needed blood. As a halfling, she is half wolf and half vampire. Only Chastity is more wolf than vampire, but she seems to need more blood than Kai needs. Its stumping both of us." Ari explains.

"So, what can you do for her, other than give her blood through an IV?" Passion asks her as he glances at Chastity.

"I don't know. I am giving her double the amount of blood Kai said to give her, in hopes of her not needing more for two weeks, but both Kai and I don't know what will happen. Kai hasn't dealt with this and I certainly haven't treated a halfling before." She says. "The only thing we can do is keep an eye on her and watch for symptoms."

"I was just with her and she seemed fine. I didn't see any sign of any symptom... Well, she did smell different. Like something was masking her scent, but that's it."

Ari frowns and looks at Ari. He watches as Ari walks forward and checks on Chastity. He sees a frown on her face and this has him worried. What could be worrying her? Is it because she doesn't have enough blood? Is there something else wrong and she just isn't telling him?

His heart starts to race and his hands start to shake. His breathing starts to become labored. What if she is dying? What if she is hurt somehow? What if there is something that Ari cant fix? What will he do without her?

Although in a panic, he stops at that thought. Where had it come from? What was he thinking? He doesn't have her. She isn't his. Why would he think about what he would do without her? Certainly, he was just thinking about her being his nanny. That had to be it, right?

"Why isn't she waking up?" He hears Ari whisper.

"What?" He demands, his heart sinking to his stomach.

Ari pulls out her phone and starts pacing. "Kai, she isn't waking up. Shes almost done with the second bag. She should have woken up by now... I... I don't know... What do I do?... How soon can you get here?... Alright..."

Ari hangs up the phone and races out of the room. She is gone only moments before coming back in with supplies for some kind of procedure. She starts setting them up, all the while watching Chastity.

Without thinking, he moves forward and grabs her hand. She feels cold. Well, not really cold but colder than he is used to people being. He doesn't know if that's because she is a halfling or if that's because she needs blood. But he holds onto that cold hand and looks down at her face.

His heart breaks. Why wont she wake up? He needs her to wake up. He closes his eyes and tries not to think that way. He wants her to wake up. He knows that she has a sister and her sister is sure to want her to wake up.

"Her sister, where is her sister?" He asks Ari.

"She is being notified right now. She works at the school." Ari tells him.

The door opens and in comes her sister Charity. He recognizes her from when Rage had her and her friend held captive. She rushes to Chastity's side and pushes him out of the way. A growl leaves his throat at that. How dare she?

Both sets of eyes are now on him. He frowns. he hadn't meant to growl. He really hadn't. He didn't know where that came from. He didn't know this woman. He hadn't really gotten to know her. So why was he upset that her sister pushed him out of the way. As was her right.

Ari looks at him for a second more, takes a smell of the air and smiles. She freaking smiles at him. This causes him to frown. He doesn't get to ask why, because Kai comes storming into the room. She moves to Chastity's side before looking up at him.

"Passion what are you doing here?" She asks him.

He doesn't have the answer. He doesn't know why he is here. He just felt like he needed to be here with her.

He watches as Ari leans over and whispers into Kai's ear. He frowns what is she saying.

"Well, this might just be the answer." Kai says. "Come take a seat and roll up your sleeve. We need to draw some blood."