FOURTEEN

"Passion."

The way she said his name made him feel warm all over. Like just hearing her say it felt like a caress. Like she was trying to seduce him.

For the first time in a good long while, he had to fight off his attraction to her. Temporarily, of course. But he had to. He didn't need either wolf or halfling to know what he was feeling in that moment. Its the only thing he doesn't like about being a wolf, is knowing when others are horny or aroused.

Though, fighting off the arousal was harder than he thought. It was super hard now, because he felt this strong connection to her. Like she wanted him just as much. But now wasn't the time to be sporting a hard on. Now was the time to comfort his mate and be by her side. Even if they weren't alone.

"How? Why didn't I recognize him as my mate?" She asks looking at all four of us.

Kai takes a step forward. "But you did. Do you remember how you felt the first time you saw him? The first time you looked into his eyes."

Chastity frowns. "I remember feeling like I was whole. I remember feeling like everything around me disappeared. Like it was just the two of us and nothing else mattered. No one else mattered. I remember feeling very warm."

"That, was how you recognized your mate." Kai tells her. "You have to remember that you are a halfling and will expirence things differently than you would expect. I remember meeting my mate. It happened just like yours, but it freaked me out and I was so afraid to go through that with other people. But them my own mentor explained it all to me. He told me I was different, so I would see, feel, learn, and be different. Now, I couldn't be happier."

He watched as emotions flowed through her face. How he just wanted to take it all away from her. He hated seeing her like this. So confused, so upset. She didn't deserve it. He wanted to make her feel like she mattered He wanted to make her happy. How he didn't know. But he vowed to himself that he would do just that.

Suddenly, he is moving across the small clinic room. He finds himself in front of her, looking down into her eyes. She looks up at him and he can see the confusion there. The worry she is feeling. He can feel that too. He grabs her hand and instantly his body goes warm. Calm, relaxed and warm. That's how holding her hand is making him feel.

"You... You want me?" She asks him quietly.

He frowns at that. "Why wouldn't I want you?"

"Be... Because of what I am. Because what I have been through. Because of what Blaine did to me." She says.

Almost instantly, she is covering her mouth and her eyes are growing huge. His guess? She hadn't meant to say what she just said. But he doesn't care about that. He wants to know what she meant by that. What had Blaine done to her? Had he hurt her in any way? Had he done something to her? HIs protectiveness was coming in strong. He had to close his eyes and take a few deep breaths before looking down at her again. He had to remain calm for her.

**********

As soon the words leave her mouth, she knew she messed up. She hadn't meant to say that about Blaine. She didn't want to send that horrible excuse for an Alpha any kind of attention. She didn't want him to have any more reason to take their inheritance from them. She didn't want him to try and retailiate against her.

She watches Passion's face as it contorts with anger. She watches him close his eyes before he takes a few deep breaths. She knows he was trying to calm down. She would have been too if she heard someone say what she just had.

"What did he do to you?" Passion asks through clenched teeth.

She looks down. Should she tell the truth? Should she lie? How much should she tell him? What if he chooses not to have her afterwards? What if he decides she isn't worthy of a warrior? What if he thinks shes lying before telling her he doesn't want her? So many questions bombard her, as well as memories. She doesn't even know where to begin.