11 - A R T

Evangeline Carter

The next day I decided to skip Potions, I didn't want to see Malfoy after what had happened. I'm not planning on avoiding him forever, I'm eventually going to have to talk to him. I also want to apologize, I said some harsh words last night.

The rest of my classes were boring, and finally, I went to my favorite place, the library. As soon as I sat down Char spotted me. "Eva, where did you go last night?"

"I wasn't feeling well, I went to the hospital with Madam Pomfre," I lied. I felt terrible lying to my own best friend. There's nothing more I wanted than to tell her everything, vent to her, and cry to her, but I couldn't. She'll be disappointed in me, and look at me differently.

"I know when you're lying Carter, I already know where you went."

My heart skipped a beat. "You do?"

"Yes, silly! I know you went to Elliot's dorm, I'm proud of you, that's why you've been so secretive."

I just stood there, touching the back of my neck, feeling ashamed.

"Well, anyway I have Quidditch practice. You better give me all the details later!" Char shouted as she ran out the door.

I sat down in a corner alone in the library, my thoughts drifting into Malfoy. What I'm doing isn't right, it has to end now. He walks in and immediately spots me and begins walking over to me. I quickly got up and started heading to the bookshelves.

I saw him in the corner of my eye, he wasn't doing anything he was just, staring at me. He didn't keep his eyes off of me as I continued looking for books on the shelf. It was as if he was admiring my every move, trying to decide what to say.

He unfortunately catches up to me and grabs my arm. "Why are you avoiding me?"

"I'm not avoiding you."

"Why didn't you go to potions?" He questioned looking at me.

"Um, I wasn't feeling well," I said looking down.

Silence.

"I-I'm sorry about what I said, about you not having real problems. I'm sure you do, I was being very insensitive." I finally looked up at him. "I'm also sorry for hitting you in the chest."

"It's fine."

Silence.

"Malfoy, this needs to stop. Us, whatever this is that you're doing to me it can't go on for any longer. I'm lying to my own best friend and it isn't right"-

He aggressively grabs onto my arms, "I say it's over when I want it to be over, Carter."

"What game are you playing?" I question, trying my best to understand him.

"Meet me in Snape's class tonight, I want to show you something" he orders, completely ignoring my question.

"No."

"Why not?"

"Why not? Are you mental? If Snape catches me past hours he'll chop me into pieces!" I exclaim. "See, that's your problem. You're too uptight, you don't do impulsive things."

"Then what kind of impulsive things do you suggest I do?"

"Yell." He says confidently.

"What?"

"You heard me just do it, yell right now."

"You're crazy, I'm not going to yell in front of everyone in the library."

"That's what I thought. I told you, you're too uptight."

This angered me, I'm so not fucking uptight. I then opened my mouth without thinking and yelled which caused everyone to stare at me like I was some crazy person. I can hear him laughing at me. This is the first time I've ever seen him laugh, like ever.