Chapter 16: A So-Called Father

Lots of love and dedication to kristy1223 for all your support

Sorry if this published twice, my phone seems to be dying

Chapter 16
************

"You useless-" The book hit her shins. She didn't notice. "I told you to keep them under control, not to kill them off one by one!" The man's voice grew louder, and she knew that sooner or later more objects that shouldn't be flying would be soaring in the air.

"They're not dead," she replied calmly, "one injured, the others with simple bruis-"

"Do you think I can't read?" He hissed, clenching his fists onto piled of paper, crumbling the first few. "I very well know what state they're in, you fool, but why do they have to be in hospital? I hire you a personal doctor, I buy you an entire house, I send you daily allowances, and you can't take care of a wound on your own?" His anger was prominent, and he paced around his room, which was blatantly filled with the overwhelming smell of alcohol.

"It was an injury that required surgery and an operating room, which we don't have in the extremely extravagant house filled with mold you bought us," she shot back, exasperated, "he had a knife buried in his chest and was minutes away from death, you can't expect us to quietly go back home and watch him di-"

"I'm not saying that!" He screamed, tossing his chair aside. A big baby tantrum she thought to herself, what did mum see in this man?

"I'm saying that I've hired a doctor," he took deep breaths to calm himself, "and I'm asking you why you couldn't have used her instead of an entire hospital team!" his attempts to settled down didn't work.

"As I said," she replied through gritted teeth, "he needed surgery. We can't do a surgery with just one doctor." At this point, she was just stating the obvious. It seemed that the man knew that as well, as his mouth drew back into a snarl and he aggressively pointed at her.

"Don't," he started, spit building up, "take me for a fool."

I'll do what I want. She muttered to herself, and she smiled with reluctance at the pathetic state of the man (a so-called father) in front of her.

"I won't."

***********

"Fanta!" Sam beamed with great joy as he almost pounced onto the frail girl, before being held back by Declan.

"She is in a weak state," he declared, "did you just ignore whatever Yasmine told us?" Sam grimaced.

She could barely talk, but she smiled weakly at the boisterous bunch. As much as she wanted to protest, she assumed the name Fanta stuck, and let it be. Between the loud fighting between Sam and Declan, Drew walked over to her and introduced himself, as did George and Ross. Her swollen face and obvious bruises all over her body made them feel pity, and as she noticed their gazes, she felt almost... ashamed.

Sam plopped himself onto the bed. "I named you Fanta by the way." He grinned cheekily, and introduced himself. "I'm Sam, nice to meet you Fanta."

Fanta was catchy. She decided even if she remembered her name, she would continue to call herself Fanta.

"How are you feeling?" Declan's attempt to lift Sam off the bed ended with no avail, and instead he left him alone and propped himself against the wall.

"I- I'm alright,"she replied hoarsely, her throat dry and tortured. "Hurts just a bit."

At the sound of the pain in her voice, the boys felt contempt to whoever hurt her, and one of them went to fetch a glass of water.