Chapter 17: Downsides of Having a Social Worker As Your Sister

Lots of love and another dedication to kristy1223 for always being first xxx

Chapter 17
**************

The next few weeks flowed quickly, as both Balthazar and Fanta recovered from their injuries. Fanta was now engaging more enthusiastically with everyone, her throat healing gradually. Her bruises were far from fading and her scars would remain permanently but she seemed happier.

Balthazar was discharged early, without an explanation from the leader, and returned home to another tearful reunion. He was active, eager to move around depsite his scoldings from Yasmine.

"You're half Japanese?" Fanta enquired. Her dimples became more prominent as her swelling died down. Drew nodded, a piece of toast in his mouth.

"From my mum's side," he added, after a few seconds of chewing, "My dad's somewhere Europe, but haven't seen him since I was born."

"Oh..." She trailed off. She had tried desperately to remember her parents, but her entire body seemed to reject the proposal, so she simply stopped trying.

"So my English name is Drew," he continued, "But my actual name is Daisuke."

"That's a beautiful name," she beamed. "Do you mind if I call you that? Or would that make you uncomfortable?"

He looked surprised.

"No, I mean-" He stammered, "Go for it? I mean, no one's called me that since-"

"What's this?" Sam piped in, entering the kitchen with his pile of plates. Drew stood up abrubtedly.

"You idiot!" He glared at Sam, "I've already done the dishes!"

"I'll do it myself, no worried," Sam's grin seemed to make everything better, and Drew sighed, sitting back down. "Anyway, what were you talking about?" He asked again, placing his plates down next to the sink.

"Oh, Dr- Daisuke's real name," She corrected herself, and caught sight of Daisuke's flushed ears. Smiling to herself, she made eye contact with Sam.

"Hm," he pondered, "I did hear that your mom came from Japan," he nodded at Daisuke. "Well, mine came from Portugal," he started washing the dishes.

"Oh? What about your dad?" Fanta stood from her chair, her legs trembling as she did so. Daisuke noticed, helping her stand steady.

"I don't know him," Sam's voice seemed devoid of emotions - strange for him. "Left my mom in Portugal after she got pregnant with me."

"Oh.... I'm sorry." Fanta bit her lips. Sam turned around, his bright eyes the same as before.

"What for," he laughed, and took of the washing gloves. "No worries, it's the same situation for all of here though."

Before she could ask anymore, the oven beeped, and the boys yelled at everyone to come down and eat.

The same for everyone else?

*********

The mirror smashed.

With long breathes of fury, he grasped onto the nearest bottle of alcohol he could find and drank.

She was gone.

Did she go to the police? Where did she go?

He regretted his stupidity, allowing her to go out in that filthy state. He could have at least dumped water over her head. Angrily, he bit his lips.

What was he going to do about dinner? His sister was going to call at some point, and if she wasn't there to answer, then, knowing her, she would definitely come and check.

The downside of having a social worker as your sister, he was reminded of the words of his friend.

His eyes lit up.

Reaching his phone, he called the number, waiting anxiously as the dial tone continued.

"Hello?" A groggy voice answered the phone.

"Finn? I need a bit of help."

******

Sorry about all the comfusing pronoun games, I hope I made everything as clear as possible.

Love,
Hidden xxxx