The Other Half

Crayola breathed out and ice crystals formed on his breath. When did it get so cold? He clutched Error tighter. He was out cold. "What now?"

   Matthew chewed his lip. "Fuck not interfering. Come on. I know where Ink is." He opened a portal. The wind swept his hair into his face. "I'm gonna need you to hold onto me. With the way the multiverse is collapsing I don't know what Au's are still alive and which ones are already dead. We're gonna go one by one until we get to the core."

   Crayola hoisted Error onto his back, he was oddly light, and grabbed onto Matthew's arm. "Okay." His hands were trembling. 

   Matthew stepped through and frowned. This Au was almost deserted already. The people had scrambled for cover. Blood coated the streets. The buildings were in rubble. Bodies littered the ground in various states of dismemberment and crushed under debris. He winced. "Don't look kid."

   Crayola closed his eyes and tightened his grip on Matthew. His soul hurts. He can feel the multiverse destroying itself. It hurts so bad. 

   Matt steps through another portal. This one is even worse. Nothing but dust and ice. He shudders at the sight. 

   Crayola can hardly breathe. His soul hurts so much. His bones ache. His magic sparks, trying to keep him going. He has to. For the innocent people. For Error. For everyone at home. For Seven...

   In the third AU Matt comes face to face with a bodiless head. He jumps. This au is floating. The sky opens into a giant hole. He doesn't want to know what happens if you get sucked in there. The code for this place feels wrong. He can feel Ink's aura. They're getting close. 

   Crayola tumbles to his knees and drops Error in the fourth Au. He struggles for breath. It hurts. It hurts so much. He cant see. His head feels like its about to explode. 

   Matt turns and kneels by Crayola. "Hey. Kiddo. Come on. Breathe. We're almost there." 

   Crayola's eyelights flicker out.  His breathing stalls. His soul dims. The multiverse isn't able to supply him with enough magic. Dust flecks off his fingers. 

   Matt freaks. "Alright glitchy time to reboot. I need you. NOW!" He smacked Error and rolled him onto his back. He coughed lightly. This world was burning. There was smoke and soot in the air. The ash was getting in his lungs. 

   He tossed his glasses. They were only a hinderance at this point. He cant see with all the ash and ice on them anyway. "Error wake up! The kid is dying!"

   Something gleams to the side. Matthew jerks his head up. Its shiny even through the black smoke and soot in the air. Matt coughs and covers his mouth. He crawls over... almost. Almost. Got it!

   He doesn't bother to ask how it got here. He looks over. Crayola's legs begin to slowly dissolve. Error is still at 98%. He isn't gonna make it. 

   He pulls his shirt up to cover his mouth and he crawls over. His vision begins to blur. No. It can't end like this. The multiverse is going to die. All those people. He pushes forward. A fire sparks to his left. 

   Blood roars in his ears. A little farther. A little more. Come on. He collapses. Fire rages around them. It closes in blacking him from reaching Error and Crayola. He throws it. He doesn't get to see where it lands. . .