The Tell - 1

"Why the hell can't I just go home? I'm fine." yelled a very hotheaded Jackson at the Sheriff. It was no different than levelheaded Jackson, who was just 10% better then hotheaded Jackson. 

My mom, Derek, Scott and I stood on the roof of the video store, where the alpha had just attacked. We've been searching for him all night, and this is where he was last spotted, he killed someone because we can smell fresh blood, a lot of it. 

He attacked Jackson and probably scarred Lydia for life. 

"I hear ya, but the EMT says you hit your head pretty hard. They just wanna make sure you don't have a concussion." Sheriff Stilinski explained. 

"What part of 'I'm fine' are you having a problem grasping? Okay, I want to go home." He exclaimed snidely. 

Sheriff replied as calmly as humanly possible, I would have snapped at him, I have zero patience, like at all. 

"And I understand that--" 

"No, you don't understand that which kind of blows my mind, since it should be a pretty basic concept to grasp for a minimum-wage rent-a-cop like you! Okay, now, I want to go home!" 

Oh hell no. 

 "Oh, whoa! Is that a dead body?" Exclaimed Stiles from the cop car, pointing to the EMT's who were wheeling out a body bag. 

His dad gave him a stern look before asking the crowd of onlookers to back up. 

"Starting to get it?" Derek asked Scott. 

"Uh, I get that he's killing people, but I don't get why." Scott said truthfully. 

"I mean, this isn't standard practice, right? We don't go out in the middle of the night murdering everyone, do we?" 

My mom shook her head at him, "No. We're predators. We don't have to be killers." 

"Then why is he a killer?" Scott asked. I shrugged, we knew that he was doing this for revenge, but revenge for what? 

 "That's what we're gonna find out." 

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"You know, I have a life, too." Scott complained when we got to the Hale house. 

"No, you don't." Derek responded. 

"Yes, I do! I don't care what you say about him making me his pet or--" 

I quickly corrected him, "Part of his pack." 

"Whatever. I have homework to do. I have to go to a parent-teacher conference tomorrow because I'm failing chemistry." 

My mom sighed heavily annoyed. "I'll talk to your chemistry teacher about giving you extra credit Scott. But I'd much rather have you learn to control the shift rather then kill someone on the full moon."

Derek nodded in agreement. "You have less than a week until the full moon. You don't kill with him? He kills you."

Scott looked at me exasperated. "Okay, seriously, who made up these rules?" 

"It's a rite of passage into his pack."

"You know what else is a rite of passage? Graduating from high school! And you don't have to kill anyone to do it!" 

He sighed. "Why can't you three just find him yourselves? Why can't you just sniff him out when he's a human?"

I rubbed my forehead feeling a headache coming on, seriously. 

"Because his human scent could be entirely different. It has to be you. You have a connection with him, a link that you can't understand." Derek continued to lecture. "If I can teach you to control your abilities, you can find him." 

Scott took the words in, "So, if I help you...you can stop him?" 

"Not alone. We're stronger in numbers. A pack makes the individual more powerful." My mom added, 

"How am I supposed to help if I have no idea what I'm doing?" 

"Because I'm gonna teach you." Oh boy

"Do you remember what happened that first night you were shot in the arm? Right after you were hit?" 

Scott nodded. "Yeah. I changed back." 

"And when you were hit by his car, same thing, right? What's the common denominator?" 

Before Scott came up with an answer, Derek grabbed his hand and squeezed, hard enough to break his fingers. 

"What the hell are you doing?" Scott groaned in pain when he left him go. 
My mom slapped Derek in the back of the head responding. "It'll heal." 

"It still hurt!" 

I sighed. "And that's what keeps you human-- pain." 

Scott focused on his hand, and it started to heal, the bones snapping in place. 

Derek looked at him impressed. "Maybe you will survive." 

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

"Just a friendly reminder-- parent-teacher conferences are tonight!" Harris reminded the class.

"Students below a C-average are required to attend. I won't name you, because the shame and self-disgust should be more than enough punishment."

Teacher parent conference. What a nightmare. I don't know if my mom was able to convince Harris to give Scott some extra credit, but even if she did, it would be better for Scott to be here right now. 

He and Allison didn't show up to class this morning. It didn't take long to figure out they had skipped. I'm starting to wonder if Derek is rubbing off on him. 

Anyway, back to Harris. Sometimes I wonder if he's related to Jackson. 

He stopped by our table, looking down at us. 

 "Has anyone seen Scott McCall?" I was about to say something before Jackson walked in the class. He looked paler than usual, which probably had something to do with what happened last night. 

Harris abandoned our table thank God and approached Jacksons table. Whispering quietly. "Hey, Jackson-- if you need to leave early for any reason, you let me know." Jackson nodded and Harris went back to the board. 

"Everyone, start reading chapter nine. Mr. Stilinski, try putting the highlighter down between paragraphs. It's chemistry, not a coloring book." 

Stiles glared and popped the highlighter cap up in the air, catching it in his hand.

Stiles leaned on his chair, towards Danny behind us. 

"Hey, Danny-- can I ask you a question?"
"No." 

"Well, I'm going to anyway. Um, did Lydia show up in your homeroom today?" 

"No." 

"Can I ask you another question?"
Danny sighed. "Answer's still no."

"Does anyone know what happened to her and Jackson last night?" 

Danny hesitated, unsure whether to answer or not. "He wouldn't tell me."

Stiles looked at me in surprise and back at Danny. "But he's your best friend." 

"One more question..." 

"What?" Danny asked impatiently. 

 "...Do you find me attractive?" The question took Danny back, and Stiles leaned so far up ahead he wasn't even leaning anymore. 

He collapsed and brought the chair down with him. 

I bit my tongue to stop from laughing as he stood up rapidly, excusing himself.