II - Arrogant Brute

After the feast the children were smiling more that they ever had in their lives. Why wouldn't they? After all, they were living in a rusty old building and eating porridge that tasted of socks and dirt every single day. And now, suddenly, an angel of a girl decided to dedicate her extravagant riches to spoiling them. It was only natural that after the meal, the children swarmed her with awe.

"Tell us, tell us! Why did you choose us!" a young boy which Mrs. Cole had reprimanded earlier, squeaked.

"Well, why wouldn't I? You adorable little children must be fed, which is why I chose you amazing little bunch of children." Evangeline smiled, her kindness radiating as bright as the sun itself. However, when she counted the children, there were only ten. Someone was missing. It only took her a few seconds to realize who wasn't present.

"Say, where is that Tom? " Evangeline asked the children.

The children, who were happily surrounding her and bombing her with questions immediately quieted down. It seemed that a circus dissipated to a place so quiet a mouse breathing could be heard. 

"T-tom? Uhm? I- he's always by himself reading a book. But please! Don't go to him. Every time someone talks to him, misfortune occurs." a brave soul stuttered.

"Nonsense, my dear, I'd like make some conversation." Evangeline stated, eyeing around the room looking for the boy, Tom Riddle. In the corner of her eye, she saw a boy with black curly hair absorbed intently into a particular book, while being surrounded by dusty books with faded covers. She grinned triumphantly and made her way to him while the children watched in horror.

She stood above him, but received no reaction. Either he was really absorbed into the book, or he was being annoyingly stubborn.

"Hello?" she inquired.

She was yet again, ignored. Now she knew that he was just being some kind of arrogant brute. Instinctively, she snatched the book from his hands and crossed her arms. She earned a harsh glare, but she still caught his attention, which was her main goal after all.

"Give that back." the boy stated.

"Not unless you answer some questions." Evangeline shot back.

The boy bit his lip for a few seconds before responding. 

"Fine."

Evangeline, on the other hand, was quite shocked. That went easier than expected.

"Well, what's your name?"

Now, it was the boy's turn to be shocked. That wasn't the types of questions he was expecting. After all, those who approached him only came to mock him for being the devil in the body of a boy.

"Tom. Tom Riddle. I'm sure you already know that, though." He responded briefly.

"Hmm, okay. Uhm, how old are you?" She tried again.

"Ten."

Evangeline frowned. Actually, this was more difficult than she had anticipated. 

She retrieved the book from behind her back and studied the cover.

"Magic Exists. Theories on why it may be so." She said, reading the title out loud. (not an actual book I just made it up :>) She lifted her eyebrows, waiting for an explanation.

The boy, or Tom, sighed.

"It just seemed interesting. What else do you want to know? "he said indignantly. 

By now, Evangeline's calm composure couldn't last a single second longer.

"You know what?! I think you're an arrogant little brute. At least you could pretend to try to be interested in the conversation." Evangeline pouted.

"But I'm not. That's why. I'm not gonna lie to your face; I'm not going to gain anything by winning your favor," The boy stated as if it were the simplest thing in the world, "Now, I'd like my book back."

Evangeline furrowed her brows and was about to talk back when she exhaled, sat down next to him, gave him his book, and selected a random book from the pile that surrounded them. 

They read in peace for around ten minutes. Even though they did not interact in any way, they connected more of a bond than they did from talking. When Evangeline finished the book, she placed it down. Tom looked up and glanced at her.

"It was nice meeting you. I guess I'll see you around?" Evangeline said, although it sounded more like a question.

When he didn't respond, she huffed and stood up, walking back to the group of children. What she missed was that Tom Riddle did in fact respond, he just did so under his breath. 

"You too, Evangeline. I hope to see you soon as well."

The children were huddled in a group, terrified for Evangeline. However, when she walked out of the corner unscathed, and beaming, they were just as equally shocked.

"How?! Are you ok?" one child asked.

"What did you do?" Another asked quickly.

"What did you ask him?"

"How did you do it?"

"Are you sure you're ok?"

Evangeline, overwhelmed by the sudden bombing of questions, merely laughed it off, which caused the children to stare at her with amazement.

"Everything was fine, we just made some small talk, as I said I would!" Evangeline chuckled.

"Evangeline! We have to go now, say bye!" her mother called from the other room.

"Oh! It appears I have to leave now." Evangeline said, feeling sadness as the group of children's' expressions turned sorrowful.

"Don't worry, though! I'll be sure to visit again!" Evangeline twinkled.

However, when Evangeline said that she would visit again, she didn't mean it to be so soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: That's it for Chapter 2! What do you think's going to happen in Chapter 3 :0

P.S. Please don't forget to vote for the story! That way I can know yall like it :)

-uandurbl00dychick3n