VI - Identity

As she stepped out of his room after chatting a bit, she was met with Olivia Ainsworth. Her biggest enemy.

"So. What have you been doing in his room? Calling for the devil? Chanting for curses? Hmmm?" Olivia taunted.

"Nothing, we were merely discussing books." Evangeline said truthfully.

"Yeah, right." Olivia stuck her tongue out at Evangeline.

"Hey! We weren't doing anything devilish! If anyone's the devil, you're the devil." Evangeline shot back.

Olivia's pig eyes opened wide and she went calling for Mrs. Cole.

"Mrs. Cole! Mrs. Cole! The girl devil placed a curse upon me! Help!" she shrieked. 

"What?! Evangeline, come down here this instant!" Mrs. Cole snarled.

She grabbed Evangeline and struck her face, leaving a very visible red mark on her cheek.

"You are to stay in your room! Understand!" Mrs. Cole bellowed.

Evangeline was furious and wanted to scream, shout, cry out, but she couldn't. Instead, she stayed composed, nodded, and walked back to her room.

Seconds, later, the door was opened, and in walked a furious Tom Riddle.

"Tom! You aren't supposed to be here! You're gonna get in trouble as well!" cried Evangeline.

"Screw them. Are you ok?" Tom rushed to her side and cupped her cheek in his hands. 

"Who did this."

"It doesn't ma-"

"Who. Did. This." His voice dropped dangerously low.

"... Olivia told Mrs. Cole and Mrs. Cole slapped me."

His eyes, usually dark, flashed a dangerous red. His jaw clenched and he said,

"Wait here." When he left, Evangeline rolled her eyes.

"Where am I going to go? I'm trapped in here. It's not like I'm going to be dancing with little piggies with wings." She whispered under her breath. However, before she knew it, pigs with wings appeared before her! She quickly rubbed her eyes and they were gone, though. What was that?! 

She stayed in her room when a disheveled Tom Riddle walked into her room. His face held a dangerous, mad expression, but when he looked up at her, it all faded away. All that was traced on his face was concern.

"Are you alright? I didn't leave you alone for too long, now, did I?" He asked worriedly.

"Uh- no. Are you alright? What were you doing?" Evangeline inquired.

"N-nothing. I, uh, just had a little chat with Olivia." He said.

"A little chat? Tom, don't lie. I can see right through you." Evangeline said warningly.

"Alright alright. Remember when I said that I can make people hurt? Well yes, Olivia deserved what she got for doing to you." He said, his lips curling up into a scary smirk.

"Tom, what did you d-"

"It is none of your concern. How's your cheek doing?" He said, changing the subject abruptly.

Evangeline let out a deep breath, knowing that pressing him further was not going to do any good. However, in the next few days, she noticed that she hadn't even encountered Olivia once. Every now and then when Evangeline would pass by Olivia, per say in a hallway, Olivia would look at Evangeline with a terrified expression then scurry away. Of course, Evangeline barely gave a thought this, but was rather happy that she was closer with her only friend at the orphanage and was not being bothered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Yes yes, more character development! :D