III - The terrifying incident

Evangeline woke up to a new morning. The sun shone through her windows, and she could hear birds chirping melodies outside of her window. She raised her silk bedsheets and stretched, inhaling the fresh air of a new day. Putting on her soft slippers, she slipped on a gown laced with jewels, brushed her hair exactly one hundred and fifty times, then went to brush her teeth. When she returned to her room, however, she frowned. It was a lovely day, of course, but...

All was quintessential except one thing; the house, or rather, mansion, was unusually quiet. It was usually bursting with music from the radio with her mother humming downstairs, making breakfast while her father sipped coffee and read the newspaper, calling his wife from the other room from time to time for a refill of coffee.

As soon as she realized this, she ran downstairs. Her mother and father were nowhere in sight.

"Mother? Father?" Evangeline shouted.

When there was no response, her fear started to kick in.

"MOTHER?! FATHER?!"

"WHERE ARE YOU?"

...

Still, there was no response. Evangeline sat down and tried to remember the past events on whether or not her parents had told her they'd be going out in the morning, although they rarely left the house in the morning.

After reminiscing the past events from yesterday, it finally came to her. Ah, yes, her parents had informed her that they would be attending an important meeting. However, they had also said they would be back before 9:30 AM. She immediately ran to the clock, which read 10:15AM. Hmm, that couldn't be right. Her parents were always on time, no matter the situation. Was it daylight savings? No, that couldn't be right.

She sat down trying to think of the possible events when she was interrupted by her thoughts when she heard a knock on their front door.

She slowly approached the door suspiciously, but did not make a sound. Again, the door was knocked on, but this time a solemn voice was heard.

"Hello? Are there any inhabitants in the grand house of the Goldstein's? Well, if anyone is there, I am Officer Radburth. Do not worry, I am not here because you are in trouble. I am here because I would like to ... deliver some news." said a masculine voice.

Evangeline timidly opened the grand door and was surprised to be met face to face with a tall and lanky officer, instead of a stout one that matched his voice.

"Hello. Are you a resident of the Goldstein Mansion? You must be a servant. Please, inform Ms. Goldstein to make her way to me." stated the man, attempting feebly at a commanding tone.

When Evangeline made no attempt to move whatsoever, the man's fake smile vanished.

"Get me Goldstein now, on the order of the police." the man said sharply.

"I am Goldstein, Evangeline Goldstein." Evangeline said truthfully.

Unfortunately, the man was in a bad mood.

"Listen, MISS! I am in no mood for silly jokes, so i suggest you go retrieve your master THIS INSTANT or we will have to enter the house with FORCE, UNDERSTAND?" the officer yelled.

Evangeline, now annoyed by the rude man ruining her quite calm morning, stood her ground and replied in the same tone.

"Excuse me sir! I am Evangeline Goldstein, daughter of Albert and Lilith Goldstein. And, what in the HEAVENS makes you think we have servants?!" She spat back.

The man, taken aback, started profusely apologizing.

"Please, ma'am, I wholeheartedly apologize. I- I just haven't had the best morning. My- my wife had cheated on me and uhm, i was demoted, and assigned to this project." the officer admitted.

Evangeline felt a pang of guilt that he had suffered so much, while she just had a bad morning.

"It's ok, would you like to come in?" Evangeline offered.

She led him to an area which consisted of delicate furniture and very, very comfortable chairs. After getting seated, she turned towards him.

"So, officer, what's the news?" Evangeline asked, smiling.

The man's face looked as if he had experienced something horrible, and forgotten it in the time of their acquaintance.

"I- darling, I'm so sorry." the man looked down and starting fidgeting with his fingers.

Evangeline, in contrast, was still smiling brightly and perplexed.

"Sorry? I don't think I quite understand." she said, hoping to get more out of the man.

The man gazed agonizingly into her beautiful two colored eyes before continuing.

"You- you see, your parents were on their way to an important meeting, as you know. However, as they were going there, there was a drunk driver who wasn't seeing where he was going, and uh, you see, he crashed into their carriage and unfortunately your parents didn't make it. I- i rea-" the man stuttered.

The officer was still talking, but Evangeline toned out what he was saying. The last words she heard him say was 'unfortunately your parents didn't make it'. A million thoughts zoomed through her head before she found herself falling, and eventually enveloped into a comforting darkness.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: That's it for Chapter 3! What do you guys think? 

-uandurbl00dydchick3n