IV - Wools Orphanage

Evangeline woke up in a dimly lit room. It smelled of cleaning products, and next to her stood a table full of trinkets and gadgets she was unfamiliar with. After breathing in and out a few times, she could think straight again. After analyzing her surroundings once more, she finally realized where she was.

A hospital.

Her eyes widened and she spotted a bell on the table. Shaking, she grabbed the bell and started to whack it furiously.

A few seconds later, a nurse scrambled in. 

"Yes, hello miss, how can I help you?" the nurse asked.

"Wha- where am I and why am I here?" Evangeline asked in a scared tone, which she hated. Oh yes, one fact about Evangeline, she absolutely despises being vulnerable.

The nurse, after recollecting her memory of the patients in the hospital, her memory dawned on her.

"Oh dear. You see, I believe you were having a little chat with an officer, and after he delivered the news, you lost consciousness." the nurse said with a sad little smile before heading out the door.

Evangeline sat upright in horror. Things have happened so fast that she could barely process them. Her parents had gone, there was nothing that could bring them back. Especially crying or mourning. That would do anything, yet all Evangeline wanted to do was cry for hours and hours. And that's what she did. 

Although she wasn't aware of it, people were discussing of what was to happen to Evangeline. Her parents had passed, and she had no other relatives except one, who was put into jail for previously trying to steal the Goldstein's money, so that was definitely not an option. The last resort was an orphanage. There was one located a few blocks, called Wool's Orphanage. After much discussion, that was where she was to be placed. Her parents money would be passed down into a bank account, but it would be locked until she is of age, which for our case would be 15.

After sitting in bed for about an hour, Evangeline decided to get out of bed. However, when her feet were about to make contact with the ground, a group of adults decided to make their way in at that very moment.

"Oh! Hello, Evangeline. It seems you're up and early already!" the doctor said nervously.

Evangeline, wiped clean of her usually happy demeanor, simply stared back at the doctor with a blank expression.

"I- uhm, well", he continued, "Regarding the, er, current incident, you will now be residing in an orphanage called 'Wools Orphanage'. Do not fret, I've heard the living conditions are quite decent!" the doctor chided.

"You clearly know nothing. I've been there before and its total crap." She said monotonously.

The doctor, who was simply stunned, said no more, but motioned for her to follow him. She swung her legs to the side of the bed and hopped off.

Before she knew it, she found herself standing in front of the orphanage again, but the only difference was, well, her parents were gone and she was an orphan and it seemed that she could feel no expression. 

The doctor knocked on the fraying door and opened a grim looking but familiar woman; Mrs. Cole. She studied the man for a moment before realized that he was accompanied by a girl, the very one who visit just the other day.

"Oh. Goldstein, isn't it? I'm afraid you shouldn't spoil the children too much. Thank you for the meal from yesterday." Mrs. Cole said.

The doctor looked quite confused but decided to speak up on the behalf of the grim Evangeline.