VII - Odd...

Evangeline had been at the orphanage for several months now. Nothing out of the ordinary was occuring, other than the occasional outburst of magic that Tom gave off. They decided to meet each other after breakfast each morning at the library, which was now their spot. No other child dared to enter there especially after the devil and the girl devil claimed it as their spot.

However, Tom still did not arrive. He was hardly ever late, actually, it was actually Evangeline that as always late. But the one time she's on time, he isn't here.  Odd.

She walked upstairs towards Tom's room. She was about to open the door when the door swung open herself and whacked her on the head. As she was regaining her consciousness, she saw the same man that she had bumped into before several months ago...

Evangeline woke up in her room, and there was two people in sitting on a chair next to her bed.

"... Tom?" she croaked.

"Evangeline! You're awake!" Tom rushed.

"Woah, hold on there, Tom." the other person said.

"Who are you to tell me what to do! You're the one who hit her in the first place!" Tom scowled.

"Please, just leave me with her for a few moments." The man stated.

Tom walked out furiously, which confused Evangeline. Tom didn't take orders, he would usually scowl, or scream, or just scare the person away. He wouldn't ... obey. Yet he just did. Another odd thing.

"Hello, dear, is it alright for me to talk?" the man asked.

Evangeline blinked a few times, then nodded.

"So your friend Tom, here, he has informed you of the supernatural capabilities he possess, its that right, uh, I believe your name is Evangeline?" the man said.

Evangeline merely nodded her head, which he took as a yes.

"Alright. I am Professor Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, but you can just call me Dumbledore. So you see, I am a professor for a magical school for witches and wizards, called Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It just so happens that your friend, Tom, is a wizard. I am here to recruit him. The thing is, you must not tell anybody about this, or we will wipe your mind. Understand?" Dumbledore explained.

"Can you ... prove it?" was all Evangeline said.

Dumbledore just nodded and flicked his wrist towards her little closet. It burst into flames.

"My items!" shouted a shocked Evangeline.

"Do not fret, my dear. Just watch." said Dumbledore. With just another casual flick of his wrist, the flames disappeared and her closet was the same as before. 

"Thank you, Evangeline, for understanding. I'm afraid I will have to be taking my leave. However, you seem like a very nice young and talented girl with a future ahead of you. Do you, perhaps, have a family surname?" inquired Dumbledore.

"Uhm- yes. It- it's Goldstein." stuttered Evangeline.

"Goldstein, goldstein. How awfully familiar that surname is," chuckled Dumbledore, "Well, have a great day. I'm afraid I will never be seeing you again, considering ... Anywho, I will be collecting your friend Tom for school every year. He will explain the rest. Farewell, Evangeline Goldstein." said Dumbledore before he vanished into thin air.

Tom rushed in and checked Evangeline from head to toe.

"He didn't hurt you or anything, right? Well, apart from earlier." Tom asked.

"N-no. I- I mean he set my closet on fire but then the flames disappeared as if it never happened!" marveled Evangeline.

"He did the same to me as well." grumbled Tom, slightly disappointed that Dumbledore had shown the same trick. He did like being original, or better, however small the circumstance.

"Anyways. I am going to be leaving in two weeks, and er-" Tom started.

"Two weeks?! But that's so near? How long are you going to be gone for?!" cried Evangeline.

"Er. A year." Tom stated.

Evangeline stared blankly at Tom.

"So. You're just going to leave me like that." Evangeline said rather solemnly.

"I- I don't... know." Tom admitted.

"Let- let me just be for a little while, ok?" was the last thing Evangeline said before disappearing into her room for the night.