The Prince Behind the Mask

Dreams POV

I had always loathed these parades. It's just a way for my family to flaunt their wealth. The common folk seem so intrigued by rich peoples lives, but they dont understand what goes on behind our posh smiles and waves.

Life is so boring as a prince. That's what they dont get. Everything is handed to you on a silver platter, and you never have to work for anything. Sounds nice right? Well, it's not. I've been locked in this castle for my whole life, leaving only to make appearances at fancy gatherings so people dont forget I exist.

I straighten my mask, and fix my tie. If only I could take this mask.....at least I dont have to fake my smile with it on. I want to be like the village boys, running through the mud, and having fun. Real fun. Not playing your 12th game of chess with the maid.

I hear foot steps outside the door. It's the butler. He's come to fetch me. Goody.

He knocks at my door, "Come in" I say, with a slightly defeated tone.

"Your Majesty! It is time to go down to your parade float!"

I sigh, and reluctantly follow him out the door. We walk through the barren castle, way to large for my family of 3. Our foot steps echo through the corridor. Soon we hear the light sounds of cheering crowds and some music. I fix my posture, knowing if I slouch even the slightest bit my mother will yell at me.

The butler opens the door, and the cheering and music erupt in my face. 'It's so loud', I think to myself. The colors were overwhelming. With the villagers signs and colorful clothing. Some confettee is floating though the air. It was certainly a sight to behold. I would have been more intrigued by it if it weren't exactly the same as the last 10 times he saw it.

This would be my 11th parade, but certainly not my last. Even though I'm 11, I have no freedom to be myself. All I want is to be a normal boy. (they turn 21 later in the story)

I climb up onto my float, the last one. It was quite extravagant. With bright green and white streamers draped from the sides, and a large throne for me to sit on in the middle.

I sit down, and prepare for the float to start moving. I had been taught the perfect way to wave when I was only 2, so waving was muscle memory at this point.

I wave to the villagers, while they jump over each other to be noticed by me or my parents. A smaller boy stands out to me. I look at him, although I cant tell if he knows I'm look at him. Stupid mask ruins everything.

He looks back at me, with a sort of amazement in his eyes. He has dirty jeans on, and dirt smeared on his face. I look away, I would kill to be normal like him. I wish I could have been born to a different family. Dont get me wrong, being royal has its perks. The beautiful flower garden, the delicious food, the large hot baths.

I look away, and turn to continue my waves.

Before I know it, my float reached the end of the street. This means the parade is finally over. The crowd had gone home, and the music subsided. I hear foot steps, assuming it's the butler coming to get me to take me back to the castle. But instead, I lock 'eyes' with the boy I saw in the crowd.

A/N

Hey guys!!!! Author emil here :] FIRST REAL CHAPTER IVE POSTED POG!!!!! I HOPE YOU LIKE IT!!! Just gonna clear something up, currently george and dream are 11! THEY WILL NOT STAY 11!!!!! I hope you all have a great day (also you should click the little star, its completely free and it helps our book alot! [GET IT? ITS WHAT TOMMY AND OTHERS SAY JDJHEHSJS]), and to drink water! lots of love <3