forty-four

Avalon's P.O.V.

I groggily opened up my eyes to the sight of Draco standing right in front of my bed with a displeased look on his face.
Matter of fact, he looked like he was ready to kill me.

"What do you want?" I muttered lazily as I pulled the blanket over my head and shoved my face into my pillow.

"There's a letter for you that was dropped off at our door, and you wanna guess who it's from?" he snarled as he snatched the blanket off of me.

"Give it back i'm cold!" I whined as I reached for the blanket in his hands.

"Tom Riddle sent you a letter, and yes i've already read it-"

"Tom sent me a letter?!" I choked on my own words.

"Um yeah, and I think this is the perfect chance to tell father about you two-"

"Draco I swear to god I will actually kill you. Where's the letter?" I hissed as I stood out of bed and glared at him.

"It's in the drawer." he rolled his eyes and dropped my blanket on the floor.

I rushed over to the drawer and opened up the letter, practically feeling my heart pounding in my neck. When I finally opened the letter with trembling hands, I read it in my head.

Hello Avalon,

I know we haven't spoken in a long time but I felt the urge to write you this letter. I know you probably opened this letter first and didn't check what else was in the envelope, so go see what's in there first before you continue reading.

I set the letter down on the table and looked through envelope to see the necklace he gave to me, which I threw on the ground after having a panic attack.
How did he manage to get it back?

I picked the letter up and continued reading it.

I know you're probably thinking, how did I manage to get it back?

Is he just reading my mind?

Your mother fixed it after you broke it and sent it back to me. Anyways, that's not the point. I really want you to have it, even if you don't decide to wear it which I understand. Although it does look amazing on you love.
I really hope you accept it back, and keep it safe.

I've also been thinking about the Yule ball, and as cheesy as it sounds I'd really love to go with you. You know, being the greatest dancer between us two, I think it'd be wrong for me not to attend.
I hope you accept my invitation.

Sincerely,
Tom Marvolo Riddle

I dropped the letter and started pacing the room with thoughts racing through my head. I didn't know what to do, if I should go with him or not. I didn't know if I should even accept the necklace back.

"You're not going to the ball with him." Draco hissed while he watched me pace the room.

"I can't deal with you right now Draco." I muttered as I rubbed my head.

He started walking towards the door, his eyes filled with fury.
"I think i'll have a little talk with that twat right now-"

I stepped in front of him, glaring into his eyes with the most intimidating look on my face even he backed away from me.

"If you take another step I will never, ever speak to you again." I bellowed.

He stayed as still as a statue, as I studied him carefully. He could tell I was being completely serious.

"I'll be with Theo, have fun with your date." he hissed through his teeth, and made his way out of our dorm.

Who the fuck is Theo? Probably one of his new servants.

I took another careful glance at the necklace that blinged from a mile away. A memory came to my head of when Tom put it around my neck before I left to see my father. Oh how happy I was, and I didn't even realize. I took it for granted.

I carefully picked up the necklace and turned it around in my hands, admiring every part of it. Sometimes I wish I never took it off.

I unlatched it and placed it around my neck, glancing at myself in the mirror while doing so. It really compliments my eyes and pale skin.

I think what I need to do is go out to the Astronomy tower and scream my heart out. That's really what I needed right now.

---

After many, many flights of stairs I ran towards the railings and didn't think twice about it.

"AHHHHHHH!" I screeched at the top of my lungs while I leaned against the railing and looked at the view. The crisp wind brushed against my face causing it to turn bright pink.
"That was the best thing i've ever done." I mumbled to myself.

"FUCKKKKKKKKKK!" a voice from the side of me startled me and I nearly shitted myself.

I turned my head to see Tom, leaning against the railing in the same position as me a few feet away.

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?" I called out as he turned his head towards me and started chuckling.

"SAME AS YOU!" he called out. "AHHHHHHHHH!"

At this point we were both screaming everything out of our lungs, until we were completely out of oxygen.

I collapsed onto the floor and he did the same, as we panted desperately for air.

"I see you're wearing my necklace." a small smile formed on his lips as he sat across from me glaring down at my neck.

"Yeah well it's too expensive not to wear." I smirked as I continued breathing heavily.

"Do you scream here often?" he raised his eyebrows at me and smirked.

"All the time." I closed my eyes and felt the wind crawl up my back. "You?"

"All the time."

I fluttered my eyes open and we kept our eyes on each other for a while. It felt nice seeing him again, but I knew I had to leave.

"Hey I'm sorry I have to get back." I mumbled as I stood up and brushed the dust off my pants.

"You're leaving?" he pondered with sunken eyes as he stood up from the ground.

I looked at the ground and felt like I had swallowed a rock trying to come up with something. He walked closer to me, towering over me leaving my heart fluttering out of my chest. He gently cupped my chin and lifted my face up so that I would look at him, his eyes burning into mine.

He inched closer and closer until our chests were practically touching, his hand still cupping my chin.

"Who are you going to the ball with?" he pondered as he kept his eyes on mine.

"I don't know-"

"Wrong answer." he raised his eyebrows.

I gulped and my eyes traveled down to his lips, that were so close to mine.

"Who are you going to the ball with?" he repeated, keeping his hand on my chin so I would keep eye contact with him.

"You."

"Good girl."

He removed his hand from my chin and a mischievous smirk curled on the side of his lips.
"See you there."