15 - Work

**UNEDITED**

A/N: If you're enjoying this, please vote. If I had to guess, we're around halfway done with Alena's story, and I'm looking forward to seeing who is next.

I woke up to a cold bed, something I hadn't felt since meeting Griffin. I flicked my lamp on and sat up, rubbing my face. I sent a quick mind link to the girls to tell them I'm awake, and I soon heard them entering the cabin. They settled in the living room, and I stood, moving to the closet to get dressed. I wore leggings and a sweater but packed one of Griffin's tee shirts if the office got too hot. My morning routine was quicker than usual, and I plopped my hair in a large bun.

Griffin and a large team of warriors had left for the Palecrown pack to help them retaliating during the attack. He was reluctant to leave me, but once I reassured him that I would be safe on the royal grounds with my guards, he became much more comfortable going.

Still, I wouldn't say I liked waking up alone.

"Good morning, ladies," I said softly as I walked out of our bedroom.

The girls all looked up and smiled at me. Sloane, the one who took a sort of head position of my team, pointed to the counter, where a wrapped breakfast sandwich and an iced coffee sat.

"You all know the way to my heart." I smiled, my heart somewhat aching for Griffin to come home. It felt strange to miss him that much, especially without being marked mates.

I grabbed the coffee and pushed the straw through the lid, taking in a sip of the sweetened liquid goodness. I closed my eyes, relishing in the goodness.

"Girls, I swear if you're hiding sandwiches waiting to eat until you see me eat, I'll fight every single one of you." I opened one eye to stare down the girls. Atticus, the youngest of my six warriors, looked insanely guilty. "You have my permission, eat."

They all pulled out sandwiches and ate, and I slowly unwrapped mine and took my time, enjoying it. After we all finished eating, I grabbed my bag and tucked my phone into it, walking to the door.

"Regan, you're on house duty. I think one of Griffin's guards will also be patrolling around the cabin. Mind link if anything happens. We should be having a maid or someone coming to drop off food, and you have my permission to enter the house and make sure that everything is stored properly and sealed. There have been some rumblings in different packs about poisonings, and I'm not risking anything, especially when I'm feeding you three."

I slid sunglasses over my eyes. "Nobody in my house alone." The girls all nodded and filed out of the house. I held my iced coffee in one hand and pulled the door shut with the other.

I worked yesterday in Griffin's office in the training center, and I was heading there again. Alfonso told me that soon I would have my own office there, but I would need to use Griffin's office for the time being. It was no concern for me. The scent of my mate calmed me in the room.

Sloane drove us to the training center and dropped Atticus and me at the front door before parking the car. Atticus and I walked in. I was still overwhelmed with the physical shows of respect that the people were giving me.

"Hi, is King Brennan in today?" I asked a receptionist, who looked at her screen and nodded. "When he comes in, can you tell him I need to see him whenever he has a moment?" The receptionist nodded once more and began typing on the computer, most likely leaving a note for herself on the King's schedule. I smiled and walked to my office, people slowing to watch me as I walked by.

Nobody was used to seeing me out and about. For the first whole week I was on the property, I rarely left the cabin. Now I have to get work done, and I'm going to work in the training center where I'm easily accessible. Atticus stopped outside of the door to Griffin's office, and I opened the door, flipping the light switch. There was a small window into the hallway, and I opened the blind to see into the hall. There was a window wall similar to the one in Alfonso's office, but I pushed a button on the wall so that I could see out, and others couldn't see into the office.