Chapter 35: Replacement

"You seem quite fond of her" Ceil noted.

Kai nodded, looking down at the now bundled up Rosalia in his arms. He was afraid she would get cold and decided to request a blanket.
He had her on his lap now, so he could hold her closer.

"Her personality is far more appealing than the Rosalia here" Ceil said, not looking up from the documents he was provided earlier. His interest great in these items.

"It attracts a lot of unwanted pests" Kai said lowly. He was simply staring at her sleeping features with great joy.
She was okay, and within his arms, how could he not be pleased?

"Your Highness, The room is prepared" A servant under Ceil's wing reported, not daring to raise his head.
Ceil nodded.

"Go rest in our guest room, I'm sure you also must be exhausted" Ceil said calmly.
Kai nodded, it was daylight out now, so he could afford to sleep. He's been staying up all night to watch over Rosalia and sleeping in the day for a long time now.
He held Rosalia steady in his arms as he got up and left, only pausing by the Prince for a moment.

"You have my gratitude" he said plainly, but Ceil nodded.

Like that, Kai and Rosalia were able to rest properly while Ricin suffered his injustices trying to break out the caged Rosalia.
He was horrified by the dungeon that Gerald's family was responsible for, but was even more shaken by the cruelty present deeper within.

My heart was heavy and my body was exhausted. I ended up falling sleep in Kai's arms while we awaited Ricin's arrival with the real Rosalia.

When I woke, we were in a palace guest room, one for the VIP and high nobility or foreign ambassadors. The Elven Kingdom often sent their second prince.

I noticed, quite happily, Kai's sleeping face.
Of course, an unearthly beauty like him would be difficult to look at with his sharp gaze, but now that he's asleep, I can't help but fawn.
Such a beautiful man.

My hand moved to touch his cheek, shocking me just how warm this man ran. His skin felt somewhat burning to the touch, but he wasn't sweaty or pale, so I presumed it was his natural temperature. He's a beast man after all.
His glossy black hair was thick but cool like silk to the touch, unlike his warm skin. I couldn't help playing with his hair, and envying his long thick lashes which brushed his cheeks.

I didn't even notice how long I'd been playing with his hair when a large hand gripped my wrist, and in a flash, my back was pressed to the bed and Kai was on top of me.
My heart nearly stopped.

"Kai...?"
His eyes were a little hazy, obviously from just waking up.
His grip was firm but not painful, so I chose not to complain.

"You should still be sleeping" he murmured, his voice husky and deeper than usual. My skin pricked a bit at the vibration from his chest when he spoke.

"I'm not tired anymore, you sleep" I countered.
His eyes only narrowed as he leaned close enough to my face that I could feel his breathe.

"Hey Kai..." I asked now in whisper.
A small rumble in his chest let me know he was listening.

"How come you don't have the ears and tail?"

Kai seemed to freeze for a moment, pulling back to look at me properly. His lip twitched a little.

"My mother was a Princess from the Beastman tribe, a full blood, while my father is only a half-blood. I fortunately inherited my mother's side, so I can hide the ears and tail" he said slowly for me.

"I want to see" I said confidently. Kai gave me an odd look before nodding.
A small bit of smoke appeared but when it cleared around Kai, my body felt like it was hit by lightening.