Chapter 62: On The Edge Of Falling

"Greetings, Your Highness!"

The fifty maids stood in two straight lines, their eyes wide to see the empress in Star Pavilion. Their backs stood straighter and they quietly prayed for no wind to pass by to mess with their hair.

As if the heavens wanted their lives, the moment the empress entered, a strong gush of wind blew. The carefully ironed clothes were flying and strands fell from their more than perfect hair.

What wrong did they commit to live in such a terrifying moment!

Li Wei blew a strand of hair out of her eyes. The maids immediately trembled in fear. A slight curl could be seen on the corners of her lips.

"Dismiss."

Ah? The maids froze for a second before scurrying away in confusion.

"Your Highness, this way." San'er led Li Wei into the inner courtyard.

Star Pavilion, the place she avoided visiting, was simply stunning. The minimalistic decorations of the place created the illusion of the night sky opening up to her. From the gate to the garden and even from the corridors, she felt as if the world was just a fingertip's distance away from her grasp.

In the east wing was a large room. On the bed behind the beaded curtains was a child. His eyes were closed and his face was peaceful.

"Should I wake the prince?" San'er asked.

Li Wei waved her away. "No need, leave us alone."

Once the doors were closed, San'er was filled with dread. Her figure sprinted secretly away.

Inside, Li Wei stood by the bed. The boy's skin was fair and soft looking. There was almost a gleam to his face, like the shine on a bun.

Her finger poked his cheek. The skin was gently pushed in and bounced right back. Huh, it was softer than she imagined.

"I-imperial Mother?" A pair of round eyes opened.

In a flash, her hand retracted back to her side. She silently watched him.

Khan Bohai rubbed his eyes. "A dream..."

His body turned sideways, his eyes closing once again. If only his mother would come see him for real.

"Not dreaming."

Hearing his mother's voice, he turned back. Sleepiness was removed from his eyes. Khan Bohai sat up excitedly, "Imperial Mother!"

"Not sleeping anymore?" She asked calmly.

"No." His sparkling eyes looked nowhere else but her.

Li Wei played with the strung beads. "Go back to sleep."

"If I sleep, you'll leave."

"..." It was true.

Was it guilt? Did she feel bad for waking him up?

Li Wei sat on the bed and patted her lap. "Come here."

Blink. Blink. Blink. Khan Bohai didn't move.

"Not coming?"

"Coming!"

The boy quickly laid his head down before she could change her mind. Before, he could only watch in envy when his friends ran into their mother's embrace. Who knew that one day, he would also get to know how it feels?

Li Wei fiddled awkwardly with the half bun on his head. "How about a song?"

"Okay!" He agreed before she could finish.