Chapter 34: Falling, Falling, Falling On Our Own

When she woke up, the man on the other side of the bed was gone. In the bathing room, she sat in a tub of water staring into thin air. The hot water didn't bring comfort to her. Coldness spread within her heart. The reality of what she had done slowly seeped in. Just a moment ago, the intimacy she shared with him...

Li Wei's hands clenched into fists and she slammed them down against the water. What had gotten into her? It was not something she would normally do. When she thought of him, all she could feel was hatred. The fact that she was the initiator brought a sour taste to her mouth. She willingly allowed his hands to wander and caressed every inch of her.

It was a matter hard to swallow. Her hands began moving then. She scrubbed her skin until she was red, almost bleeding. None of his touch could stay on her body.

Everything would soon be forgotten, she said to herself. He would forget her in Hai'an and she would live her life as before.

. . .

In the next month, rumors flew all over the city. There was not a single person who wasn't aware of her pursuit after Hua Xifeng. They saw first hand of her viciousness, in all of its ugliness and horror.

An abandoned and unwanted woman. She never loved Hua Xifeng but her vicious ways were to seek attention. It wasn't the prince she wanted, but the crown she was after.

Good always prevail over evil. Naturally, the protagonist won over the villainess. The villainess of Na'an had fallen.

People spoke of her life as if they knew every little detail. They could talk until their tongues fell off and she wouldn't care. If she were affected by those nonsense, she wouldn't have gotten this far. Strangers were of no importance. She knew she was no saint either. What hurt her the most were those she saw every day.

It was wrong of her to still hold onto him, but her mind was consumed with Hua Xifeng. Even if she closed her eyes, she could remember his every features. No matter what, she couldn't wish them happiness. Whenever she ran into Hua Xifeng, her gaze lingered on him for just a bit longer. Whenever she saw Li Zhilan, her heart turned a bit bitter.

Whenever she saw them together, holding hands, smiling, and sharing words of love, her hands clenched into tight fists. She could only watch in anger as she stood alone hidden in the distance. When she said this, she kneeled onto the ground and vowed to wait for the day she could be with him. "Xifeng, you really won't be mine in this life anymore... If by chance in another life we meet again, please give us a try then. Let me be the first one to meet you."

On a particularly starry night, she stood watching the moon. It had been almost two months since Khan Bojing was here... She was no fool. Her period didn't come the month after they were together. Throwing up, feeling tired, sleeping more... These were pregnancy symptoms.

The moment she found out; she broke down. She thought she was already at her lowest, but she kept falling. How much further would she have to go before she hit the ground and go into oblivion?

In her hands, Li Wei held a small package. If the child were gone, at least one of her concerns would disappear. She was cruel, but could she be this far gone? Hesitation found its way into her eyes. It was for the better, she repeated to herself. To do it early was better than later.

To take an innocent life... Could she really do it? Her hands trembled and the package fell out of her grasp. She leaned down to pick it up, but someone else was faster. Her mouth opened, prepared to scream, but no sound came out.

Khan Bojing held the small package in his hand. He stood a couple feet behind her. "Xiao Wei, this is yours."

On his return, he wore simple black robes. His dark eyes shone with excitement while he carried himself in a composed manner. He still looked the same, but she wasn't. The longer she waited, the more her body would change. Why was she the only one suffering? Li Wei angrily slapped his hand and the package fell back down. "Why are you here?"