Chapter 49: With My Life

The harsh sound of a whip brutally tearing flesh echoed loudly in the room.

The red drops of blood from his son's body spilling onto the floor didn't affect him the least. The emperor only cared for one thing. "Khan Bojing, I dare you to repeat what you just said."

Khan Bojing met his father's terrifying gaze with unyielding eyes. He was unwilling to speak what his father wanted to hear.

Never would he compromise. This was the only way to get what he wanted.

His lips pressed together in pain, but his voice was steady and clear when he spoke. "Father, I wish to take Biya as my wife."

Khan Yingjie was angered beyond words. He had raised a fool of a son!

The emperor's grip on the whip in his hand tightened until his vein popped. Fire burned in his eyes that narrowed dangerously. "Truly? You're willing to go so far for one woman? Is one woman worth more than a whole nation in your eyes?"

Khan Bojing fell onto his knees, ignoring the wounds on his body. "Father, you know yourself the lonesome life of a mage and you know the high pressures of ruling a kingdom. No matter what it comes to, I plead that you allow her the freedom to choose. If Biya makes the decision herself, then I can make myself accept it."

"Bojing, you've disappointed me greatly. You're begging me to allow a woman to decide your future? I'm your father, I'll choose what's best for you!" The emperor looked away hopelessly. He couldn't believe who his son had turned into.

"Khan Bojing, you are the only hope of our nation. You are the chosen one to lead us to a better, brighter future. How can I allow you to ruin your potential so easily? Yue Biya is not the worse candidate, but it's also because of her lineage that's the biggest obstacle. My son, can't you let this woman go?"

"You both are still young. She has yet to embrace her true calling and you've yet to step up and accept the role of a crown prince. Hundreds of thousands are awaiting your presence, my son."

Khan Bojing looked up from his kneeling position, more serious than he had ever been. "Father, I am well aware of who I am. If you are willing to trust me, then I can show you what I'm capable of."

The whip in his hand dropped onto the floor as Khan Yingjie took two steps forward. The words he's been waiting all his life, he finally heard it today. "Bojing, do you know what you've just said?"

Khan Bojing solemnly nodded. "Father, if you can promise Biya as my empress, then I can promise you I won't let you down."

His father's eyes deepened in satisfaction. "If you can do as you promised, then I can overlook whoever you choose to wed."

---

Late in the night, Khan Bojing's figure limped away from the emperor's private quarters with the old scars of his heart reopened.

Only when Khan Bojing was the only option left did he become important.

He was thrown away with his mother, deemed worthless until there was no one else. No question of his opinion, no question of his willingness-- he was taken away from his mother forcibly.

With one word from his father, he returned to the palace to fulfill the obligations of a prince. Every now and then, he would sneak out to visit his mother and stepfather.

He kept his public figure on the low, refusing to show his face. As best he could, he tried to live a normal life, ignoring the royal blood calling out to him. In his own ways, he committed small acts of rebellion to keep himself going.

Khan Bojing was a man of his words. If he made a vow, he would fulfill it. From tomorrow onwards, he will present himself as the capable crown prince the nation had been waiting for. He could no longer prolong his responsibilities.