Chapter 47: Marriage... Or Magic?

Li Wei and Song Yishan returned home in the evening after a fun day out. She skipped along the corridor towards her room when a maid came to find her. "Eldest miss, your father requests for your presence in the study."

Li Wei paid special efforts to appear kind, as not to scare off the servants. "En, thank you. I'll be there soon, you can go back to what you were doing."

Her father was quite a good boss. He was generous with his payments and laid back as long as they performed what they were paid to do. He even had special treatments.

Birthdays were rewarded with extra pay and each month, a servant could earn up to four days off. Vacation days could be saved up if unused. Behind her father's cold facade, he was quite the softie.

In her room, Li Wei changed into a traditional dress belonging to the style of Hai'an gifted by her father. This dress was a matching two piece of deep purple silk. Patterns of silver lotuses decorated the purple backdrop.

On her head, she wore a silver hat and on her neck dangled a large silver necklace. Both were a set with carvings and ornaments of flowers and butterflies. She wore no earrings and left the yellow dandelion untouched on her ear.

As she walked over to the study, her hair danced freely behind with each step she took. Her father was not a formal man. If he wanted to see her, he would've came over himself. To have a servant do it instead, this only meant one thing.

Khan Bojing was correct. The long awaited guest was here.

She entered gracefully into the large study. This room was different from her father's personal study. It was much bigger, fancily decorated, and had the necessary furniture to accommodate the welcoming of guests.

One whole wall of the room opened like sliding doors, connecting the view of the back garden with the indoor. Two men sat across each others, separated by a well crafted black marble table. The man on the left was her father and the man on the right... was the current emperor, Khan Yingjie.

Li Wei forced a smile on her face as she bowed respectfully. "This humble one greets Your Majesty."

Khan Yingjie placed down the cup of tea in his hand, his eyes full of interest. "Shangwu, this is your daughter?"

"En, my daughter." Yue Shangwu couldn't see her, but he recognized her voice. He waved her over to the table. "Come here, Biya."

She sat down next to her father, making sure her posture was perfect along with the smile on her face.

The emperor studied her for a moment and said, "Old friend, your daughter is quite the beauty."

As her father didn't respond, Li Wei only smiled shyly. "Yue Biya is undeserving of Your Majesty's high praise."

The emperor shook with a satisfied laugh. "If I remember correctly, Fangyin still has an unwed cousin of prestigious background. Perhaps a meeting between the two can spark the possibility of marriage?"

Yue Shangwu's hand shook ever so slightly under the table. "Your Majesty, don't scare my daughter. She is still young, let her play a couple more years."

The emperor didn't push the matter further. There was still time. Instead, he changed the topic to something else. "Not interested in marriage... Then Yue Biya, are you interested in magic?"

"I..." Li Wei bashfully turned to her father, allowing him to make the call. Her hand held onto his arm.

Yue Shangwu spoke sternly, even if it was the emperor he was talking to. "Biya is my child, but she has been gone for too long. Even she starts learning now, she'll fall behind. I have no plans on teaching her."