Chapter 1: Not Our Happily Ever After

It was sunset when a woman sauntered onto the rooftop of the tallest building in the palace. From there, the layouts of the city shone in a golden color. She stood without movement as her gaze lazily lingered into the distance, her lips pressed tightly together.

When the hour passed, dark clouds covered the sun and the red sky darkened to gray. Waves of chilly wind blew by, but the lady in black remained unaffected. Her eyes locked with the sky, almost as if she was challenging the heavens.

When she was born, she was named Li Wei. Her mother had wished for her to grow up into a beautiful, refined lady. Too bad, nothing about her matched her name. Her mother's aspirations were thrown off the roadside, deemed to be completely hopeless.

In this life, she was nothing like a proper lady. In this story, she defined destruction. Instead of the leading lady, she's the villainess. She was a woman who fell into evil as she blindly chased the man she loved.

It's too bad the efforts she gave and the energy she spent were fruitless. The man who filled her world now held someone else in his arms, for in his eyes, she was never of importance. If anything, his hatred towards her grew with her shameless and selfish actions in the pursuit of a so called love.

How funny it was, the ways things turned out. Li Wei really wanted to laugh with pity for herself. Such a fool I was, she thought.

With elegance, her fingers reached out for the bottle of wine hanging on her waist and tipped the rest of the liquid into her waiting mouth. As she drank, some drops escaped her lips and trailed down onto the large silver necklace on her neck. Her lips curved upwards, giving one last glance of the now dark clouds brewing a storm above her. It was unclear whether it was herself or the heavens in which she was laughing at.  

Life was really funny sometimes, fate played too much.

When the clock stroke seven that same evening, she appeared at the doorway of Hundreds Garden. A stone walkway connected the gate to the porch which was connected to the main house. On both sides, hundreds of different flowers covered the ground in countless colors. All the flowers were in full bloom and filled the air with a natural pleasant fragrance.

From the doorway of the main house, a young boy stood waiting. Although he was only four, he carried an air of royalty and maturity that were rare in children of his age. When he saw her figure at the entrance, Khan Bohai's strong aura immediately disappeared and was replaced with an innocent happiness appropriate for his young age.

He ran out as fast as his adorably short legs could go, yelling in excitement and surprise, "Imperial Mother!"

Li Wei watched as her son came running to her. Khan Bohai was a great boy, focused on his studies and well behaved. When he smiled, his dimples showed, just like his father. And for being so similar to him, she found it hard to love her own son.

She didn't have time to think as he stumbled in his haste. She immediately bent down to catch him into her embrace.

A pair of small round eyes looked at her, almost as if asking for permission, before his arms wrapped around her neck. He decided not to wait for permission. His mother would never allow it. "Imperial Mother, you came..."

"Of course, why wouldn't I? Didn't you leave a rose in mommy's room this morning to remind me to come here?" From her hands, she brought out the red rose he picked.

"Imper—mommy?" His voice tested out the word carefully. For all his life, Khan Bohai knew his mother disliked being close to him. He never had the same affections from his mother as other children. To call his mother so informally was a privilege he never had.