Chapter 5: The First Leading Lady (2)

Her hands clenched as she calmed herself. It was not a place she could afford to show her emotions. There were people watching. Such memories would have to only remain in her heart.

In a second, Li Wei was back to normal. Any signs of her pain were gone as she gracefully took the roll of fabric off the shelf. "San'er, have this delivered to the Li Manor."

San'er looked up from the pink roll of fabric embroidered with purple swirls she was looking at. The light blue roll in the young miss' hands was not something of Li Wei's usual taste. San'er knew this because Li Wei had always chosen only the most eye catching fabrics before.

Anything she didn't like, she never touched. The light blue with the birds was something simple and plain. Something the young miss would never wear.

Despite noting this, San'er didn't say a word as she quickly accepted the roll of fabric and walked towards the counter set up next to the entrance. Personally, she liked the design. Its simple design would bring out the innocent side of the young miss that rarely showed.

"San'er, take that brocade you were looking at too," Li Wei quickly added.

San'er nodded and came back to retrieved the other roll of fabric. She didn't know why the young miss suddenly wanted this one too, though such a pretty color of pink with the seemingly endless smooth swirls was definitely more of the young miss' usual preference.

"I wonder what design caught the eye of the young miss Li Wei?" Madam Yan asked as she approached from the backroom. The counter was not far, so she could see the fabric that Li Wei picked out with the white birds in flight.

Li Wei remained quiet as she didn't feel like making conversations anymore. She merely shrugged and went back to studying some random hair accessories.

Madam Yan's eyes were quick to notice Li Wei's lack of interest. She's never been this ignored by a customer before. Thus, an annoyed Madam Yan blurted, "Li Wei, your eyes never fail to pick the newest designs I have here. Although it looks simple, the fabric is much more sophisticated than what meets the eye. Its the only one of its kind."

Noticing Li Wei's sudden interest in the topic, she proudly continued, "There's a rumor between traders that it's designed by a member of the royal family in Hai'an. Although no one knows why or how such a valuable piece made its way to Na'an, I can guarantee that its the only one in existence."

"I'm afraid that Madam Yan is too generous with her words," Li Wei finally replied, having no choice. This remark showed her humbleness, that Madam Yan was just being kind. Yet, this remark also sneakily attacked, that Madam Yan was merely talking too much!

San'er almost busted out laughing as she returned to the young miss' side. This courage and bluntness of Li Wei made her look at the young miss with some sort of admiration.

Li Wei's statement immediately zipped Madam Yan's lips as she no longer dared to speak another word. Her face turned red and she huffed away to where Li Zhilan stood in front of a mirror. There had been no other customer that insulted her so bluntly. Forget that orphan, she should've gave her all towards the prime minister's daughter in the first place!

By now, the sun had disappeared completely behind the horizon. The only customers in the store were daughters of only the wealthiest families in Na'an. With such high prices, a person of ordinary background would not dare enter the shop casually.

"Li Wei, don't you think your words were rude? If not for Madam Yan, would we have all these beautiful dresses to wear? You ought to apologize to her," Li Zhilan stated, she had overheard the conversation and couldn't help but intervened when Li Wei was going to walk out unapologetically.