Chapter 63: Foolish For You

An internal battle between the fear of falling and taking a leap of faith raged on endlessly.

How would it feel to fall into the unknown? Would the jump be worth it or become another betrayal?

Li Wei sat on the window sill, her legs dangling above the bright red peonies below. In this spot, the fresh morning air brushed through her hair freely. She ignored the strange looks from the servants sweeping the courtyard.

"Your Highness," San'er knocked on the door. "His Majesty is here to pay you a visit."

Who was here? She was so surprised she almost fell out. "F-for what reason?"

"Do I need a reason to see my wife?" Khan Bojing answered.

His voice didn't sound familiar to her ears. The words he spoke were sarcastic and his tone was distant unlike the vulnerability he showed last night.

She quickly calmed herself. "Come in."

"What are you doing, my empress? Running away?" His gaze followed her position.

"As if." She gestured towards the set of table and chairs out of courtesy. "Suit yourself, Your Majesty."

"No thanks."

Khan Bojing didn't even glance to the direction she pointed. Instead, he carried her off the window only to place her down on the floor.

Underneath the window, she was forced to sit back to back with him. Shoot, it was too late to really run away.

"I can't go on like this anymore. I need an answer from you today," He began.

She knew her words hurt him last night. It was good they weren't face to face or else he would see that she couldn't look into his eyes.

Khan Bojing purposely seated them this way. He hoped she would be honest with him as he was to her, "I chose to be with you, Xiao Wei. To be a good man to you, I did everything I could. What else is there that I haven't done? Have I not treated you well enough? Is my wealth not enough? What haven't I fulfilled in your heart that makes it so hard for you to look my way? Tell me, tell me so I can do it for you."

Nothing. There was nothing he hadn't done for her. Khan Bojing went to the moon and back for her. He moved the clouds and handed the stars onto her palms. There was no one else in the world who could've been better to her than him.

Only she wasn't good enough for him.

Li Wei forced her focus onto the white wall. "There's one."

A little hope sparked in his eyes. If he could accomplish that one wish for her, would she look at him then? Would he be with her for real then...? "What is it?"

She covered her own ears.

"You didn't give me Hua Xifeng."

The one thing left she wanted most was another man.

That man whom he failed to give her.

Without another word, Khan Bojing walked away.

Whatever was left holding them together fell apart completely. Nothing could fill the space between them now.

Be it five years, fifty years, or five hundred years, the name on her heart was still not his.

---

The pebble bounced across the water's surface multiple times before disappearing. Three figures sat by the riverside. One stood off to the side while the other two gathered on the edge.

"Daddy, I want to see mommy."

Khan Bojing's grip on the pebble tightened. "Don't mention your mother."